COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning 1st trip to Paris, Loire, Burgandy, and maybe Provence... Need guidance!

Planning 1st trip to Paris, Loire, Burgandy, and maybe Provence... Need guidance!

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I have decided we want to tour France by car. We enjoy road trips and are casual travelers. We know we won't see everything... it gives us an opportunity to go back and see more.

So, we are planning a 2 week trip Sept 07. We will be flying from Chicago to Paris. We are currently planning on renting a car directly from CDG and driving to Ambroise. We aren't sure what we should do next... go south to Provence? or skip Provence and drive east to Burgandy? Like I mentioned above, we are very casual, but we don't like staying in one place too long. We enjoy seeing scenery, drinking wine and eating cheese, and staying in semi luxurious hotels. As a friend once said " we like to drink well, but inexpensively".

After touring the countryside, we would like to end with 3 days in Paris. We would like to see the major sights. Louvre, Eiffel tower, musee d'orsay, notre dame, etc... What district would be most convenient? We prefer to walk rather than have to take the metro.

I have read though posts that went back 3 years... but I can use any advice you can give. Thank you in advance. ~Christina
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM

We just did similar... picked the car up at CDG... drove to Burgundy... spent 3 days... drove to Provence... spent 3 days... back to Burgundy for 1 day... back to CDG... dropped car... taxi into Paris... 3 days in Paris... flew home.

Worked pretty well... plenty of time on driving days for stops along the way.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM
ira

Hi xp,

I urge you to give Paris 5 days.

It's about 3 hr from CDG to Amboise. I think that that is a long way to drive in jet-lagged condition.

It's about 5hr from Amboise to Dijon in Burgundy.

FYI: It will help you in your search if you spell the place names correctly.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Ooopsy. My spelling hasn't hampered my search thanks to copy and paste. But thank you for pointing out my horrible mistake on Amboise & Burgundy. Now I know I will be pronouncing each correctly.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Not that I dislike Paris, but given my choice, I'd spend more time in Provence and Burgundy instead of 5 days in Paris.

There is plenty to see in Paris but, to me at least, the hill towns, local markets, vineyards, etc. of the rural areas are what France is all about.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Following Ira's advice, I would do Paris first, then if Amboise is next proceed there by car or train.

Mappy and/or viamichelin are handy for working out driving routes.

Be aware that Dijon and Avignon are two places where one can catch an early AM train direct to CDG on the day of the flight home.

For questions about car rental, I would talk to someone at autoeurope using their 800 number.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. We are planning on renting a car. And you are right, viamichelin has been great! It gives me an estimate of toll costs! I thought chicago tolls were bad.

I agree with Ira, Paris first and then off to the countryside. It will give us a few days to gather ourselves. I orginally thought the logistics would be easier ending with paris, but then I thought how exhausted we always are that first day in Europe. As you can probably tell, we are in the early stages of planning.

Does anyone have suggestions on a Paris district to stay in for our first time?

And any amazing villages to stop in during our drive that aren't mentioned in the guidebooks?

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:14 PM

By the way, our favorite source for hotels is Chateaux and Hotels de France.

www.chateauxhotels.com