"Planes,Trains and Automobiles"

Mar 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

"Planes,Trains and Automobiles"

My first trip to Italy last year reminded me of the movie "Planes,Trains and Automobiles". However, we fell in Love with Italy and plan to return in the fall. I have 12 full days and am trying to limit travel days. I thought of 5 days in Venice and 7 in Florence. I would probably take a side trip to Assisi one day and take a wine tour another day and a day trip to Siena.I was wondering if seven days in Florence is too many? Should I maybe add one more destination?Prefer to start in Florence and end in Venice. Thanks
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

oops,How do I get this in the Italy thread?
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:32 PM

In my own opinion 7 days in Florence is about 6 too many, but I realize not everyone would agree with that. Did you visit it last time? If so, the number of days should be clearer to you than to any of us. If I had 12 days and only had specific plans for visiting Florence and Venice, I'd probably opt for a week somewhere in Tuscany (not Florence) and visit a lot of smaller towns as well as Assisi and Siena, then spend two nights in Florence itself and three nights in Venice. But that's just me. If you want to spend days and days visiting churches and museums, then 7 days in Florence could fit the bill for you.
Mar 7th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

We had 2 days in Florence last year and just felt like there was still so much to see so thats why Florence again.Patrick, I'll give your idea some thought ,thanks
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:00 PM
rex

Once you post without marking the Italy designation, there is no way (tht I know of) to change it. But I think that so few people care about the country "subdivisions" that it probably won't matter.

You COULD start over and repost and then post here referring others to your new thread and requesting that no one add further to this one (and some might heed that request, and some might not).

If you do re-post, how about asking the question you really want an answer to? (which has NOTHING to do with planes, trains and automobiles!) - - like "Do you think I should change my twelve day Italy trip plan? Tentatively planning five days in Venice and seven nights in Florence with some day trips".

I will admit that I am darn near an obsessive proponent of this - - pretty much get the COMPLETE question into the message header...

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Gosh--Did't know Fodors had POLICE(sorry for YELLING)
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
ira

Hi bluebird,

We spent 11 nights in Florence and didn't think that it was too long.

Of course, we did some daytrips.

My trip report might help you,

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044