Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Plane vs. Train Travel in Provence & Languedoc (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/plane-vs-train-travel-in-provence-and-languedoc-423200/)

jjleigh Apr 16th, 2004 11:49 PM

Plane vs. Train Travel in Provence & Languedoc

My boyfriend and I are going on a week-long barge trip (with a group of relatives) from Avignon to Carcassone in mid-July. We are flying in and out of London, and we have about two to three days to spend on our own before and after the barge trip. We want to spend at least one night in London on the way in (we have friends there) and one to two nights in Avignon before the barge trip (or nearby--is Uzes easily accesibly by train?)

At the end of the barge trip, we'd like to spend two nights somewhere in southwest Frane, easily accessible by train from Carcassone and preferably a small town, then one night back in London before departing. One additional question here: Is there any way to take a day-trip/minivan tour of the Cathar castles? (Car rental is not an option for us.)

We are debating whether to book a round-trip flight from London to one of the major airports in southern France that would be close to either Avignon or Carcassone (Marseilles or Toulouse, I presume), and take the train to and from the barge trip, OR get a French rail pass, take the Chunnel from London to Paris, the TGV from Paris to Avignon, and I don't know what from Carcasonne back to London

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

jjleigh

rex Apr 17th, 2004 04:23 AM

The answer seems to be clear to me: fly. I trust that you have looked at the choices on ryanair.com and easyjet.com

One other pedantic observation: even if you did want to take the train(s) - - including the Eurostar, which goes via the <i>Channel Tunnel</i> - - this would not be a rason to buy a rail <i>pass</i>. It's a term that seems to self-perpetuate, as if one would buy a &quot;flight pass&quot; to fly on an airplane, or a &quot;shoe pass&quot; to go get some new penny loafers.

Best wishes,

Rex

sandi Apr 17th, 2004 05:17 AM

If you want to pick-up some tours to see the Cathar castles you'll have to remain in the area of Carcassonne (Toulouse, Montpellier, Bezier (sp)) so the closest airport would be Toulouse to get you back to London (maybe via Paris), unless you find a direct flight, but be sure it flies into the airport from which your return Intl flight departs.

If you go onto Uzes (via Nimes) or Avignon, realize that neither the Toulouse (TLS) or Marseilles (MRS) airports are nearby, so you'd have to get to these somehow (time-consuming). You can however, take the TGV from Avignon back to Paris and from there onto London.

MorganB Apr 17th, 2004 07:39 AM

You could stay in Alet Les Bains. It is a charming small village with interesting architecture and history. It has direct train access (35min trip) from Carcassone. Not sure about bus tours but if you can see the cathar castles its well worth it. Also Rennes le chateau is interesting and dont miss Arques a lesser know castle.

tedgale Apr 17th, 2004 07:50 AM

Stay in Avignon? -- I wouldn't! Lack of car limits you, though. There are many hotels in towns just outside the city, if you must stay close.

But I'd take Uzes (or nearby Arpaillargues)in a heartbeat, if you can swing it.

MorganB Apr 17th, 2004 10:33 AM

If you fly to Montpellier you are on a direct train route to both Avignon and Carcassonne. Montpellier - Avignon 1h . Carcassonne-Montpellier 1h30 mins

mpprh Apr 18th, 2004 02:44 AM

Hi

Airlines connect with various London airports from : Marseille, Nimes, Montpellier, Perpignan, Carcassonne, Toulouse.

This is cheaper and quicker than using the train.

As someone said Montpellier is well connected to both ends of your trip, and local trains can be used.

Lots more info about the area here : http://tlp.netfirms.com

peter