Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Plan to be in London on Ash Wednesday? Any suggestions for Mass?

Jan 29th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Maira

I am staying in the Belgravia neighborhood. Any suggestions within walking distance? Any suggestions by train from Pilmlico Station?

Jan 29th, 2002, 05:53 PM
joanie

I've been to Mass at Westminster Cathedral and Brompton Oratory and I prefer Brompton Oratory. It's a beautiful church!!! They have several Sunday services as well as a Latin Mass at 11:00. I think this will be very close to the Belgravia neighborhood. Here is the website www.brompton-oratory.org.uk
( They also have Sat. Mass at 6:00 pm).

Jan 29th, 2002, 07:05 PM
joanie

Maira,
OOps!!!I'm sorry, Ijust realized that you want to attend Mass on Ash WEDNESDAY and I gave you times for Sat. and Sun.! Well you can probably get that info. on the web address that I gave you earlier.

Jan 30th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Senick,

I'm an Anglican who admires Sir Thomas More. If you share my regard for him you might walk to a Roman Catholic church near his former house, Our Most Holy Redeemer and St Thomas More Church, 7 Cheyne Row, Chelsea. I phoned 020 7352 077 to learn the time of Mass: 8am, 10am, and 6pm. It's good to think that as we kneel for the ash we shall be doing just what his family and he did each year.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines

Jan 30th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Alexander

I'll second Ben on his suggestion. The parish priest of Most Holy Redeemer is an old friend of mine from the time when we were both curates in North London, before his conversion to RC church. You can also visit the Anglican Chelsea Old Church, on Cheyne Walk, which has a chapel in memory of Thomas More, who lived nearby.

Jan 30th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Maira

Joannie, Ben and Alexander, thank you so much for the kind suggestions and added valuable remarks. You gave some wonderful choices and I am very grateful. Thanks again.