Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Plan B late flight to CDG - TGV to Avignon / transportation to St. Remy?

Plan B late flight to CDG - TGV to Avignon / transportation to St. Remy?

Aug 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 111
Plan B late flight to CDG - TGV to Avignon / transportation to St. Remy?

I will already be in Paris, and will be meeting my husband at CDG to catch the TGV to Avignon. We have purchased PREMs tickets for a departure 3.5 hours after his scheduled arrival, so we should be fine even if his flight is somewhat delayed. However, the question is what is our Plan B if his flight is so delayed that it won't be possible to make the TGV for which we're booked?

I had been assuming that I would just wait at CDG until he finally gets there, then we'd both have to buy new full fare tickets to Avignon. However, DH suggests that in that case I should just catch the TGV as scheduled on my PREM tic and head for our hotel in St. Remy, and whenever he finally arrives at CDG he will purchase a ticket for the next available TGV to Avignon and eventually meet me at the hotel in St. Remy. It seems like this may be the most sensible back up plan (so that only one of us has to purchase a full fare TGV ticket) ... also, it would mean if he's REALLY delayed ... like the next day ... I'm not stuck trying to find a last minute hotel in Paris for the night while still having to pay for our pre-booked accommodations in St. Remy. However, the catch is that our rental car, to be picked up at the TGV station in Avignon, is manual ... and I don't drive stick. So, I would need to find another way to get from the TGV station in Avignon to St. Remy, and he would need to pick up the rental car whenever he arrives. Is this a feasible plan? What are the transportation options to get from the Avignon TGV station to St. Remy without a car? Or would we be better off for me to just continue to wait for him at CDG and both catch a later train together?

(PS Me learning to drive stick before we go isn't an option ... I leave in a couple of days, we don't own a manual, and attempts to teach me to drive stick when I was 16 were completely and utterly fruitless ...)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
travelgirl2_99 is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 269
This made me smile. How many times do we have these situation, many. If it were me I would wait at the train station. I think getting to St Remy would be far more aggravating than just getting a latte and a good book and just waiting, no better place to people watch than Paris.
returntoyourseat is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,499
"... the question is what is our Plan B if his flight is so delayed ..."

I love people who make back-up plans! I do, too (and my brother makes a back-up to the back-up).

"... So, I would need to find another way to get from the TGV station in Avignon to St. Remy ..."

I wonder whether a taxi would be an option? It might be pricey, but it is only about 20 kilmetres from Avignon to St. Rémy. If you end up having to do it that way, there is a public taxi stand at Avignon TGV. Just follow the signs from where you get off the train.

Another alternative: there may be local bus service, but I bet it leaves from the area of the old Avignon train station. I'll see if I can find a schedule somewhere on the Internet.

AnselmAdorne is online now  
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 46,944
I never make backup plans, and these sorts of things never happen to me, so I'm at a loss as to understanding fretting over this; 3.5 hours is plenty of time, even if his plane is delayed.

If your husband doesn't arrive, get on the train. If you can't drive a stick, take a taxi. Consider it an adventure. You'll eventually meet up there even if everything goes wrong, which it won't.
StCirq is online now  
Aug 21st, 2009, 08:01 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,939
Assuming that you know when your husband's flight will actually arrive and the departure of the TGV he is likely to catch - I would just wait at the Avignon TGV station for him if it's a 3 hr wait or less. It's a comfortable place to spend time - and there are on-again/off-again places to get something to eat. You could secure the car so when he arrives, you're read to go. However, you will need his driver's license & they may not even let you proceed with the paperwork unless he's there in person.

If it's a 4 hr or so wait - I think I would take a taxi to St Remy.

returntoyourseat - the last time I ordered a "latte" in Europe - I received just that - a glass of warm milk.

Stu Dudley
StuDudley is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,939
St Cirq - our June flight to Paris this year was delayed 24 hours because of a huge storm in Dallas (where we connected). I had to re-book TGV tickets to Bordeaux, our hotel, and our car rental. Also had to notify the Gite owner that we would arrive on a Sunday instead of a Saturday.

In '99 there was a thunderstorm here in San Francisco in June - which is unheard of. All the flights out of SFO were cancelled. The next day it was a mess. We actually had reservations for the "next day" - but the ticket counters were mobbed at Air France and our flight was scheduled to leave 2 hrs late. However, just as they were beginning to secure things for the takeoff, the pilot announced that 1 passenger could not find his passport. They were going to allow him to de-plane to look for it - with a max time of 30 mins to find it. As luck would have it, he could not find his passport, so the baggage handelers had to find his luggage & remove it from the plane. We took off around 5 hours late. When we arrived we naturally missed our connecting flight to Nice and had to wait around 4-5 hrs for an open seat on a subsequent flight.

You are lucky to live on the east coast, where there are fewer things that can delay your flight to France.

Stu Dudley
StuDudley is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,499
Well that was a little harder than I thought it would be. Here is a web page that shows there is a bus service between Avignon and St Rémy:


You can download the route map by clicking on "Consulter / Télécharger le plan du réseau" and the timetable for route 57A by clicking on "57A : Avignon <> Saint Rémy de Provence par Rognonas - Châteaurenard - Eyragues" Looks like the bus runs every couple of hours and you can catch it at the "Gare Routière", which is near the old train station.

You can catch a shuttle bus ("navette") between Avignon TGV station and Avignon Centre ... the schedule is here:

www.tcra.fr/pages/76 ... just scroll down to the "Navettes" and click on "Navette TGV Gare - TGV / Avignon Centre". The shuttle takes all of 10 minutes.

I hope your husband's plane arrives on time ...

AnselmAdorne is online now  
Aug 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,647
I've taken that bus to St Remy, it's a real pain due to schedules and it takes forever.

If this thing happens, which is unlikely, why don't you just wait at CDG for him and go together? Is the price of that PREM ticket really that important to you versus all this other stuff. I really can't believe you are going through all this just for the price of a train ticket, and besides, you would have no idea when he would actually arrive at CDG.
Christina is online now  
Aug 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 111
Anselm and Stu, thanks so much for the suggestions and info. Stu, I'm thinking that your suggestion sounds like a good plan; and Anselm, thanks for finding the info on the bus service - for some reason I couldn't find that! Looks like a taxi would probably be the best option should I find myself in that situation.

Most likely, the backup plan won't be needed, but you just never know ... my last 2 international flights leaving from North America (one in April and one in May) were delayed by more than 4 hours ... in addition, his flight to Paris is not direct, and our city is susceptible to weather-related delays, so it is also possible that he could miss his connection and be unable to get to Paris until the following day. While we've yet to miss a connection to a Europe-bound flight, I do know quite a few people it has happened to due to weather events. Hence, the suggestion from someone to whom this happened, who was trying to meet up with a person on a different flight, that we have a back up plan (because they didn't have one, and everything did go wrong, and it was a bit of a nightmare for them...). For us personally, it's far easier to both know what the backup plan is and not have to use it, than to not have one at all if the original plan doesn't work out. Just running it by Fodorites for ideas! Thanks again!
travelgirl2_99 is offline  
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,939
Christina - it's not the price of the PREM that she's worried about - it's the price of the non-PREM (100 to 140E) that she would have to purchase if they traveled together after missing the TGV she has a PREM ticket for.

I don't see much difference between waiting in Avignon or in CDG for her husband to arrive. The monitors at CDG should give her some idea about how late her husband's flight will be. If it's 2 hrs or more late, I would just head to Avignon using my PREM, wait there (or taxi to St Remy), & spend the 100-140E on a great dinner in St Remy the next day.

Stu Dudley
StuDudley is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Dec 30th, 2012 10:15 AM
Aug 1st, 2011 05:31 PM
Nov 10th, 2008 09:26 AM
Mar 20th, 2006 10:36 AM
Jan 14th, 2006 12:33 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:50 AM.