Places to visit in Edinburgh

Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Places to visit in Edinburgh

Hi,
Need some help with places to visit in Edinburgh. I plan to be in Edinburgh between 5th and 8th May. I am travelling with my wife & kids (7 and 9) and parents.
Request suggestions for places to visit. I am considering - Edinburgh Castle, St Giles Cathedral, Our dynamic earth, Botanical Garden, Royal Yatch Britannica, Zoo.
Also, my parents have difficulty walking up inclines - is it ok to take them to the Edinburgh Castle?
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:45 AM

There is handicapped parking (and a taxi queue) quite close to the castle. The castle itself has very steep parts and some stairs. There are a couple museums on the level part and the walkway round the gun ports (some stairs there). There is also a nice cafe. To get to the other parts There is a steep incline. I don't know your parents capabilities. They may want to walk around the museums and wait for you in the cafe.

St. Giles is nice but not as ornate as London cathedrals. I would say it is nice but not a must see.

The zoo is a zoo. I've never been there since we have zoos at home. It is far out of town.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:19 AM

The Old Town/Royal Mile area is nothing but inclines, and often with cobbles as well. Within the Castle there are some very steep ones and steps up and down to various parts.

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/in...cessforall.htm
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:19 AM

We loved the Royal Britannica and you can have tea there. There some hilly areas in the Botannical Garden-beautiful though, especially the conservatories.They might enjoy Holyrood Palace but I found it underwhelming. Forget Arthur's Seat-very steep climb.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:21 AM

Adding: Your group may enjoy going to Rosslin Chapel. It is easy to reach by bus and easy walking there.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:50 AM

Nini, my family and I will also be visiting Edinburgh in May. How do you go to Rosslyn chapel? We were considering taking a day tour, but if it's possible to go on our own, that would be much preferred.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM

You can take an ordinary bus to Rosslyn Chapel. It isn't very far outside the city. Just don't think anything you read about it in a Dan Brown book has anything to do with reality.

The Museum of Scotland is a brilliant museum of Scottish history and culture, more or less right across from Greyfriars Bobby, with lots of everyday things from everyday people. Next door is the Museum of Science and Technogy though that is not its real name. Between the old and new towns is the National Gallery of Scotland and the National Portrait Gallery is nearby. All these museums are good for the disabled.

You can visit Holyrood House, the Royal Seat in Scotland, and the new Scottish Parliament across the street.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM

"my parents have difficulty walking up inclines "

Edinburgh is just about my favorite city anywhere . . . but be prepared. It is not a flat city. Princes Street is flat but you will run into hills to essentially mountains everywhere. Luckily, from the castle, the Royal Mile is down hill all the way to Holyrood.

Only a small part of the castle is flat -- the rest is quite steep in places.

There will be sites where your folks may just have to sit in a cafe or pub while the more agile family members explore.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone - thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I am sure all this will be very helpful.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:41 PM

Our family enjoyed Camera Obscura. The National Museum of Scotland was also nice.

Harry Potter fans? There's the Elephant House (one of JK Rowling's former hangouts)

Photos and report (of sorts) from my blog:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/edinburgh.html
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Think San Francisco steep hills. I like Rosslyn Chapel also. It has a long drive way if you do take the bus. There is a handicap car park close by.

Where are you staying btw?
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Here are some ideas, based on the things you already picked

Princes Street Gardens, directly below the Castle
Mary Kings Close
The Palace of Holyroodhouse and the ruins of Holyrood Abbey.
The new Scottish Parliament building
Greyfriars Bobby
The Museum of Childhood

Please do go to the Zoo. Great excitement- we have two new pandas. The penguins don't like being upstaged (you think I'm kidding? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-16270214)

Specially for the kids?

Deep Sea World at Queensferry.

Mussleburgh Steam Train

I

Search this Thread