Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Places to stay in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-to-stay-in-venice-540376/)

Raquel Jun 29th, 2005 08:50 AM

Places to stay in Venice

Hi everyone

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and it's so interesting and I've learned so much. My honey and I are taking a trip to Italy in October and we will be spending 2 days in Venice. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay. I'm looking for a reasonably priced place, not a $300 a night hotel. If anyone has stayed at a nice/clean B&B and has any recommendations, I would totally appreciate it. Thanks

Raquel

elaine Jun 29th, 2005 08:51 AM

ok, not $300 per night, but how much?
Do you require an elevator?

Raquel Jun 29th, 2005 08:53 AM

Anything under US$200 is fine. No elevator required. I would like to stay anyplace where I can access all of the sights by foot and easily. Thanks a bunch

Pilchard Jun 29th, 2005 09:00 AM

Hi.

www.hotelflora.it.

You're welcome.

Amart Jun 29th, 2005 10:06 AM

Locanda le vele,Calle de le Vele http://www.locandalevele.com/ .
We stayed three nights in June in a very large room behind the reception desk with a small balcony, large windows overlooking a canal, air conditioning, updated bath (small shower), beautiful furnishings. We had two teens who slept on a fold out couch, all for about 250 per night. Should be less in October. Breakfast served in room. Couldn't have been nicer. Would stay again in a minute.

MFNYC Jun 29th, 2005 10:09 AM

I 2nd the FLora.

Raquel Jun 29th, 2005 10:13 AM

Wow!!!! You guys are awesome. I will check out all of your suggestions. Thanks everybody :-)

TC Jun 29th, 2005 10:35 AM

www.ca-satriano.com/www/page.html

Loved the B&B, Ca Satriano. Very clean. Great location just off Grand Canal. Easy walk to almost anything. Only three rooms - two up and one down. Host brings breakfast each morning, cleans and then you have the place all to yourself. Like having your own home. Slow to reply to emails, but be patient.

This small hotel, Novecento, was on the same alleyway and although we didn't stay there, it looked quite nice. Good price. Take a look.
www.veniceby.com/novecentovenice/

WillTravel Jun 29th, 2005 10:40 AM

I liked La Forcola - http://www.laforcolahotel.com .

suze Jun 29th, 2005 10:54 AM

It's very popular (deservedly so) so hard to get reservations but I love Pensione La Calcina www.lacalcina.com

Prices 75 to 185 euro depending on single, double, view, no view, with a ince breakfast included.

suze Jun 29th, 2005 11:03 AM

And right next door to La Calcina is Pensione Seguso, where i have not stayed but seen favorable comments on...

www.pensioneseguso.it

massagediva Jun 29th, 2005 11:19 AM

Hi, Raquel-try using the search feature.This question has come up many many times.You'll find so much info.

julia_t Jun 29th, 2005 11:44 AM

Try www.palazzoduodo.com

It's a really nice B&B with three suites(you get your own front door key) midway between Piazza San Marco and Rialto. There is an elevator as the apartment is on the 3rd floor. Two years ago I paid around €90 a night for a large B&B suite with 2 canal views. I would definitely stay there again.

Raquel Jun 29th, 2005 01:15 PM

WOW!!!! I'm so impressed by this forum. I so appreciate all of your responses. It's been so hectic scheduling our trip but fun at the same time. You guys are really amazing. This trip is a lifelong dream. I can't wait to get there. Thank you so very much :-)

Raquel

kelliebellie Jun 29th, 2005 02:14 PM

www.locandaorseolo.com Awesome, awesome place. Our stay there was the highlight of our trip. The rooms are huge and beautiful with murano chandeliers and balconies. The breakfast is wonderful and included. But the people that run it are the best part. They booked all of our train trips and tours and made our stay so wonderful. They are so nice. And great location too! And under 200 euros I believe.

wanderer Jun 29th, 2005 02:17 PM

When we were in Venice in May, we walked by La Calcina, and had lunch/dinner there several times during our week stay.

We went inside to check out the hotel, and it was very charming.

I fell in love with Dorsoduro, and the Zattere. So beautiful and quiet and peaceful.

We picked up a brochure from the hotel, and were surprised how inexpensive it was, considering the great location.

Wherever you stay, Venice will steal your heart.

jgg Jun 29th, 2005 02:25 PM

I second Locanda Orseolo. All the glowing recommendations you read on Trip Advisor are absolutely true!

wsz Jun 29th, 2005 05:20 PM

We also loved Locanda Orseola. The people there were warm and gracious.

inkere Jun 29th, 2005 05:46 PM

Raquel-- word of caution on some of the web sites that show "ratings" for hotels in specific cities. Seems that some do not post negative comments about the hotels that they display, only great, good, or mildly negative comments. My wife and I recently stayed at the Al Gambero hotel in Venice near San Marco Square-- hotel was so so, one had to be a mountain goat to get to your room - not worth the $210 euros /night and said so to Venere.com who represented the hotel. We have yet to see those comments posted to share with others, although more recent favorable comments have shown up regarding other hotels. So buyer beware. I would favor hotels away from San Marco-- less expensive, less crowded and noisy-- you can walk in minutes to just about anywhere in Venice's tourist area, so staying a bit "out of the way" is not a problem. Try the Rialto Bridge area-- looked like some decent hotels in that area. October will be less expensive than the summer so your choices will be greater.

jgg Jun 30th, 2005 08:21 AM

Inkere- I would suggest you post your comments on TripAdvisor.com. They do review it before they post it, but I believe as long as you don't say anything rude, crude or nasty it will be posted. I have seen many negative comments and ratings on that website.