Notices

Places to stay in the Loirre Valley

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to stay in the Loirre Valley

My daughter and I will be traveling in France in early September. We are going to leave Paris to travel to the Loirre Valley. What is the best train to take and which city should we stay in to have the best access to the various castles / Chateaux?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM

Best train is TGV. If you're going to use public transport or doing excursions, I suggest Tours. With car, Amboise.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM

Public transit won;t get you to most of hte chateaux of the Loire - they are mostly inthe deep countryside - with no trains and perhaps 1 or 2 buses per day.

If you are arenting a car (recommended) yuo can stay in any one of a number of private chateaux. Otherwise agree on organizing to join a group can tour out of Tours or Amboise (organize them in advance).
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM

My daughter and I did a trip in 2010 to Paris and the Loire Valley. We trained to Amboise and took a tour with Acco-Dispo Tours. We did a half day tour the day we arrived in Amboise, and then a full day tour the second day. We loved the tours. We felt we had enough time at each chateaux. You can also do these tours out of Tours, so that you can take the TGV and be there in about an hours. I think these day tours are a good alternative to driving if you don't want to rent a car, which we didn't. Driving would allow you to see more of the valley. Enjoy your trip. Gladys
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM

It's Loire, not Loirre. And the best thing to do is take the TGV to Tours, rent a car, and go to Amboise or Blois for the eastern Loire, or Saumur or Angers for the western Loire, and drive yourself, as public transportation is a bit of a pain. Chinon works if you want to stay in the middle. There's also lots more to see in the Loire than châteaux if you're interested.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM

You may easily go to Chenonceau, Amboise, Clos-Lucé and Blois castle using public transport. To Chambord, Cheverny, Villandry and others, I suggest excursions or renting a car.

http://www.tours-tourisme.fr/excursions_en.php?id=4
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM

I would NOT stay in Amboise. It has turned into a tourist town, mostly Americans.

I first went there 20+ years ago and it was a sleepy little town. I returned about 4-5 years ago and it was just the opposite. My wife an I decided we weren't coming back.

Check out Blois (blawh). Smaller and certainly less crowded.

Personally speaking, I would take the train to Tours and rent a car, prefereably from Hertz. From there, drive to your destination.

I find that France is one of the easier countries to drive in, and wouldn't hesitate to rent a car again. The French are better drivers than Americans.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM

I was there last september and didn't find it touristy. By the way, I'm not American. Many people didn't even speak english there.

Amboise is lovely, we had a great time there walking by the loire river in our honeymoon.

You may take a look at the pictures and some videos:

http://luademochila.com/2011/11/14/v...ns-pitorescas/
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:11 AM

Haven't been to Loire Valley yet, but we will be there for 3 nights this August. We are staying in Blois for the first 2 nights, & in Chinon for our 3rd night, if this helps.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Those pesky Americans. They find a beautiful little town in a nice location with lots of good hotel and restaurant choices that also has some very good attractions to visit - and then they like to stay there - turning it in to a tourism town. Yes, I'm sure it isn't what it used to be 20 years ago but then what is anymore?

My wife, granddaughter and I had a great time in Amboise in late June of last year (and yes we are guilty as charged - we are Americans). I do agree that driving was very easy in the area and the TGV from/to Tours is a good option. I think you will not be disappointed if you and your daughter decide to stay in Amboise.