Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Places to Stay in Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-to-stay-in-sorrento-105403/)

Cathy Feb 11th, 2001 07:49 AM

Places to Stay in Sorrento

My husband and I are traveling to Italy in March 2001. We are planning to stay in Sorrento for 3 nights. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would like to stay near the town, right on the coast. Please let me know. Thanks!

Mari Feb 11th, 2001 12:33 PM

Hi, Cathy: Many years ago we stayed at the Parco di Principi Hotel. It was a large hotel which seemed to cater mainly to tour groups at that time. It is near town and had a fabulous view - bay side terrrace and lovely grounds. This time, we have decided to stay at the Bellevue Syrene which has some great recommendations on this site. Check out some of the other suggestions such as the Minerva, Il Nido and the Hotel Tramontano (visit their website-the music is terrific). I also read great things about the Cocumella-we have spent many Sunday afternoons in the travel section of book stores. I guess you have to first decide how much you want to spend, check out the websites, and read all the info on this site and in travel books and then make your decision. <BR>Have a wonderful trip! <BR>Mari

richard j vicek Feb 11th, 2001 01:09 PM

Good afternoon, Cathy <BR>Used the Bellevue Syrene, it was located <BR>on the coast with some rooms with a view <BR>of the Gulf of Naples and about 300 m <BR>walk to the Pza Tasso. <BR>We stayed there only one night, wish it <BR>was more and moved to the Syrene on Capri... Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Joyce Feb 11th, 2001 04:11 PM

Stayed at the Minerva several years ago and it couldn't be better. Right above the water, terrific huge deck/veranda with many chairs for relaxing and viewing, nice rooms, good location. It's not too far to walk down into town proper, but a bus stops right outside the door. Connections not all that great coming back, however, as there are only a couple of stops in town. Not too crazy about their restaurant when we were there, but there was a good one across the road and several excellent ones in town proper. Would go back in a minute. <BR>

hamlet Feb 12th, 2001 07:04 AM

A word about Parco dei Principi - it is a great hotel with beautiful grounds, but it is a walk from the center of Sorrento. (I think the hotel is actually in Sant'agnello, the next town over). Unless you have a car, which may not be the most convenient choice, expect to do a lot of walking unless you take taxis. Not that it is incredibly far, just a 15 minute walk or so, but it can get to be a pain. For example if you are out during the day, you usually take the bus, train or ferry from Sorrento, and then return there, and then if you wanted to rest for a while before dinner you have to walk back to the hotel and then maybe walk back to town to eat and then walk back again that night. The walk is safe though - just be careful of the speeding cars and mopeds like throughout the rest of the country - and every once in a while there are no sidewalks. Personally, I would prefer something closer to Piazza Tasso and all the action.

Paul Feb 12th, 2001 07:18 AM

We stayed at Pensione La Tonnarella in '98. Right on the coast, almost every room with a view, many with balconies. The web site is http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/3194/

anniel Feb 12th, 2001 08:00 AM

Without doubt the best hotel in sorrento is the Grand Excelsior; you can get rooms overlooking the sea and the hotel has its own lift down to the ferry( a great convenience). However, you will pay top rates there. Others overlooking the sea and yet in the town are the Bellevue Syrene(already mentioned), which I strolled into and quite liked; the Grand Hotel Tramontano which we stayed at last year and the Ambiascatori also in easy reach of Piazza Tasso. We stayed at the Tramontano because it was old, central, traditional and we enjoyed it but we went with a British tourist co. and is heavily used by us Brits.We were not much impressed with the food at the hotel and you cannot have everything.I hope this info is helpful; at least going in March, as we tend to do it is not so crowded in Sorrento

carol Feb 12th, 2001 08:15 AM

I've also stayed at the Bellevue Syrene and loved it. The breakfast room overlooks the bay of Naples, and the hotel has a huge terrace where they have dinner and dancing in the evenings. (the music and dancing may only be on weekends, I'm not sure).

sandi Feb 12th, 2001 09:16 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Maria on Via Capo, 8. ($120.00 US) The room was sparse but clean and had a balcony from which we had a spectacular view of the Bay of Napoli and Vesuvio.

Marilyn Ham Feb 12th, 2001 10:20 AM

I agree with Paul. We stayed at LaTonnarella. The room was lovely and the view was beautiful. They were working on the kitchen so we did not eat there, but it is our understanding the food is good. Marilyn

JB Feb 12th, 2001 01:17 PM

Have any of you stayed at the Loreley et Londres? It seems like all of the guide books absolutely rave about it, but I can't seem to find any people out there in the real world (well, the computer world anyway) talking about it. (I've done a search on this board with not much luck.) <BR> <BR>I've got reservations at the Loreley in May for $80 dollars a night for a double...which seems kind of low for how much gushing books like Fodor's and Frommer's do about the place! Is it truly just a great deal...and maybe the low price is part of the allure? <BR> <BR>I usually like small hotels with charm and a great location, so I'm thinking this hotel may be the place for me. (I also looked into the Minerva but it came in around $140 a night, which was a little more than we wanted to pay - we're already splurging on Capri.) So any comments out there for the Loreley? I'd love to hear them! Thanks.

leo Feb 13th, 2001 03:27 AM

Message:I put in a third vote for the LaTonnarella. It is only a short 15 minute walk from the train station, so very convenient for touring Pompeii and Hurculaneum by train. Be sure to request a room with a view overlooking Vesuvio and Naples. We ate dinner several nights in their resturant and it was very good and reasonably priced.

Celeste Feb 14th, 2001 01:08 AM

I walked past the Hotel Michelangelo in Sorrento last night and it looked nice but I wasn't inside. Just a couple of blocks from Piazza Tasso, not on the water or anything, but it looked good.

dahlia Feb 14th, 2001 09:12 AM

Totally agree with Paul, Marilyn and Leo re La Tonnarela. Excellent! Room with view, location, staff. Marilyn, sorry you missed the kitchen, it was one of my best in Italy. As a matter of fact, I wrote the hotel and got the pasta/seafood recipe that we have been eating while we stayed with them. Price is very reasonable also, a suite with a huge terrace overlooking the sea for 3 people, just $150/day.

Paul Feb 14th, 2001 12:31 PM

Well, I must disagree about the food. Truth to tell, I was not very impressed with the restaurant. We ate there our last night. While the food wasn't great, the setting was lovely - eating outside with the lights of the Bay of Naples twinkling all around, the waves lapping against the shore, and the dark outline of Vesuvius in the background. I wish food had been better - I got rather ill for the next two days from dinner.

Colleen Feb 15th, 2001 08:33 AM

JB - I haven't stayed at Lorelei, but I know where it is - it's just across the road from Minerva, which is a wonderful place, by the way! They're both in the cliffs overlooking the Bay of Naples, just on the edge of town, and I think there's parking at your place, too. The walk is pleasant, and there's a convenient little shop in an old corner building just as you walk towards town. We'd stop there for water, sandwich makings, wine, a little more wine,... We really like the location, and the L. was on high on the list when we were making our selection. And it sounds as if we like the same kinds of places -- go for it. It may not be as posh as some of the others, but I'm sure it's cool. And the price is right. Enjoy!