Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Places to stay in Rome, Venice and Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-to-stay-in-rome-venice-and-florence-277095/)

Dyan Dec 2nd, 2002 12:17 PM

Places to stay in Rome, Venice and Florence?

My husband and I are into romantic, traditional style, high end, quaint, full service hotels. Any suggestions?

Rex Dec 2nd, 2002 12:25 PM

You could spend a modertae amount or a lot for hotels that match those descriptive terms.<BR><BR>I recommend that you look through Fodors Rants'n'Raves right here on this website, and then spend some time on www.venere.com - - an excellent resource for window shopping, making inquiries, checking availability, and making reservations or cancellations.<BR><BR>In Rome ,perhaps the Raphael.<BR>In Venice, the Bonvecchiati.<BR>In Florence, Villa San Michele, if your budget can take it.<BR><BR>None of these are really in the &quot;moderate&quot; price range.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

up Dec 4th, 2002 07:31 PM

for dyan<BR>

Lisa Dec 5th, 2002 06:55 AM

In Rome, your requirements might be met at the Intercontinental De La Ville. In Venice, Luna Baglioni or Londra Palace and in Florence the Regency...check out the Karen Brown Italy website, she always recommends charming and quaint hotels.

Book Chick Dec 5th, 2002 07:43 AM

Hi Dyan,<BR>For Rome, I'd recommend a guest house called Casa Howard. It is small (although the guest rooms aren't!), initimate, warm, with lots of personalized customer service &amp; TLC. Their web site is www.casahoward.com<BR><BR>For Florence, I'm about to go to the Plaza Lucchesi Hotel next month, so I can tell you more about it after my return. It's right on the Arno, but we're getting a room overlooking Santa Croce to avoid noise. The Hotel Pitti Palace in Florence is nice, and is where my friends and family would stay when I was a student in Florence.<BR><BR>For Venice, Locanda Sturion. (They have a web site, you can easily access it via the Google search engine.) The only downside to the Sturion is the lack of elevator/lift. The marble staircase is 60 steps, but each is worth your while.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

scubatv Dec 5th, 2002 08:28 AM

Got back from Venice and Florence yesterday. <BR><BR>The hotels were vacant and discounted. <BR><BR>You could have stayed at the Rialto in Venice, canale view, for $130./night<BR><BR>

Ryan Dec 5th, 2002 08:37 AM

My wife and I went to these same three cities, just this past summer. We have similar tastes in hotels and booked ours through the AMEX Platinum Card travel service. <BR><BR>In Venice we stayed at the Metropole Hotel, which is on the Grand Canal. Nicely decorated rooms that all feature antique furniture. If a higher level of service is key, then you might want to think about the Danieli and its direct peers.<BR><BR>In Florence, we had a really nice suite at the Grand Hotel Villa Medici. It is a historic building that was once a home to the Medici family. Several of the rooms on the top floor have a terrace which have spectacular views of the Florence skyline. <BR><BR>In Rome, we stayed at the St. Regis. Definately high end and priced as such.

Rob Dec 5th, 2002 05:32 PM

We were there twice in 1999 &amp; 2002 , here's where We stayed (for location):<BR><BR>Rome = Hotel Genio &amp; Hotel Mascagni<BR><BR>Florence = Fenice Palace<BR><BR>Venice = Splendid Suisse<BR><BR>None are cheap , but are well-located &amp; very well-managed !!<BR><BR>Rob

Sue Dec 6th, 2002 11:55 PM

Not sure when you are going, but there is a new hotel on the Grand Canal called Palazzo Sant'Angelo which has opening offers at 180 Euro per room plus tax. For an extra 65 Euros you get a Grand Canal view.<BR><BR>It is high end, very plush, jacuzzis, bathrobes, marble bathrooms, silk-lined walls, carpets (unusual in Venice), great service. Not technically full service, as it has no true restaurant, but a very nice breakfast room and also a bar overlooking the canal. Find it at www.sinahotels.it We thought it was great value for such a good quality hotel in a great location.

Jones Dec 13th, 2002 12:30 PM

I've been only in Venice in October I suggest you the hotel Florida (www.hotel-florida.com) within walking distance from the bus terminal/car parking, 100m from the rail station and 100m from waterbus stop. There is English language TV - BBC World and CNN. Watch out for the step in the shower basin, as you don't see it at first. No I've never seen one like this either! Most staff speaks perfect English and was very friendly. The breakfast waitress is very efficient and friendly; despite speaking very little English, she somehow understands exactly what you want. For the culturally challenged there is Frari church (not loose it) 10 mins walk away. This hotel is exactly what it says it is, would definitely recommend.