Places to stay in London, UK

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 05:47 PM
VLapointe

Places to stay in London, UK

Looking for clean, economical place (hotel, bed & breakfast, etc.) for a couple to stay in Central London, UK first week of November.

Old Sep 12th, 1999, 06:21 PM
gpotvin

The Baden Powell House is cheap, clean and located near at least two tube(metro) stations. It is a hostel/hotel that caters to Boy Scouts but also has rooms for two to six. They charge by the person, but I think it is in the area of 15 pounds per night including breakfast. Don't know about smaller rooms, but the bigger rooms do not have facilites ensuite, but the ones we used were very clean and utile.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 09:12 AM
Veronica

Thanks for the reply but we are not interested in staying in a hostel. Can you recommend something a bit more private?

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 05:54 PM
steve

We stayed at the "WHITE HOUSE" in the West Norwood section of London - an eaasy (and frequent) train ride of a few minutes to central London. check out their website at www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dmark/
their rate for 2 nights for a double is 52 pounds, 25 pounds per additional night. It's not the fanciest, but it is very economical for London

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 04:02 AM
elaine

Hi
If you do a Search on this forum for London hotels you will find many other suggestions.
good luck

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 05:02 PM
VLapointe

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'm so excited about this trip as it is my first time visiting Europe. My husband has, at one point or another, visited London and truly enjoyed his visit. We were told to stay in the Western region of London instead of the Eastern region because the b&bs are more modern, is that true? I would like to stay at a place where we have a private bathroom and is romantic. Does anyone have any ideas of must see places; I'm a romantic person and would love to see some castels and things.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

V

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 02:33 PM
R Hubbard

We stay at Knightsbridge Hotel, 12 Beaufort Gardens, 011-44-171-589-9271
(F)011-44-171-823-9692. Wonderful small hotel 2 blocks from Harrods on quiet sidestreet. Subway stop 1 block. Have stayed here four times and will be revisiting for Christmas again this year. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 02:42 PM
elvira

Castles in London: Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace (closed in November, but you can see the outside)
Outside London: Windsor Castle, Hampton Court, Blenheim (there are others; those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head).
I'm hard up for romantic - we tend to do the bloody and brutal - and that's just the shopping trip to Harrod's....

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:21 PM
VLapointe

After visiting several book stores and reading so many guides I feel as if I've already been to London, several times over. I did not think searching for a place to stay would be so difficult. I make travel arrangements daily here in the states. Boy, I hope I have better luck when I arrange our tours for sight seeing. Once I get a place to stay my next step is to come up with a game plan for sight seeing. The information regarding the closings of London's castles is extremely helpful. Thanks a million Elvia!

R Hubbard, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and let you know. While checking out some of the other messages I stumbled onto another site; www.theaa.co.uk. Has anyone ever used this site? What about the hotels, has anyone ever stayed any of the hotels they list?

V

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Kimberley

You guys are going to start thinking I'm an ad for the Ridgemount - I keep telling everyone to stay there! Valerie, I was in London in July/August and was really pleased by the Ridgemount Hotel in Bloomsbury. It was very centrally located between Goodge and Warren Street stations (about a 15-20 minute walk to Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus, or a couple of minutes on the tube). We paid 55 pounds for a double room with a private bath including a full breakfast, the hotel was immaculate, and the owners extremely kind and helpful (I was so impressed that they washed, dried, and folded my laundry for 3 pounds). The room was extremely small, but it did have plenty of storage if you wish to unpack, a nice sized bathroom, and other details cheaper rooms often leave out (televison, hair dryer,...). If you're interested, they can be reached at 0170 636 1141, the owners are Mr. & Mrs. Rees. KK

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:02 PM
Veronica

Kimberly, thanks a million for the tip regarding the Ridgemount Hotel.

I have found Fodor's Forum to be extremely helpful in planning our accommodations for this trip. So far I have at least 10 different hotels and b&bs to decide from thanks to people such as yourself.

My husband and I truly appreciate everyone's input. I'll check out www.allthingsbritish.com for more information on this hotel and keep you all informed.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my message.

Veronica

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:21 PM
David

Add the Swiss House Hotel on Old Brompton Road as a possible B&B to stay at. Enjopyed our stay inMay. Walking distance to Knightsbrdge area(Harrods etc) Minutes from Tube station. Beautiful neighborhood. Enjoy your stay.Very helpful staff.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 07:28 PM
Veronica

Everyone, thank you. Without your help I do not think I would have been able to locate as many wonderful places to stay, sites to see, and places to eat during our stay in London.

I passed on everyone's recommendations to my associates at work and they loved them.

Now I will start my search all over again and this time Fodor's Forum will be my first stop on the internet.

Thanks for everything!

Veronica

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 01:27 PM
Gayle

Just returned from 3 days in London where we stayed at Travel Inn County Hall. It was comfortable with a hot pot w/coffee,tea,hot choc,biscuits each morning...add a scone or two and you have a light, inexpensive breakfast. They were very accommodating. We were surprised to find that the Brits don't usually use a top sheet on the bed and that bothered me, so when I asked at the desk, they sent one up right away. Also I burned up my hair dryer and they loaned me one. The hotel is close to Waterloo station, so traveling was convenient. We were able to walk to the theatre, Westminster, and other places. At 59 pounds/night, it was a bargain. Also, we found the Potter restaurant at the hotel to have very good food.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:01 PM
Veronica

Gayle, thank you so very much for the tip. We have managed to narrow our search down to four hotels/b&bs. Can anyone tell me if they have stayed at one of the following?

Georgian House Hotel
35 St George's Drive
London SW1

Admiral Hotel
143 Sussex Gardens
Hyde Park
London W2

Rhodes Hotel
195 Sussex Gardens
London West W2

Julius Caesar Hotel
26/33 Queens Gardens
London W2

How was your stay? Would you mind giving sharing a little information on your room and the hotel? How long ago was it when you stayed there?

Any bit of information would be most helpful.

Again, thank you all in advance.

Veronica

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Jo Ann

We stayed at the Rhodes Hotel Sept 9-15 and found it very conveniently located. It offers all the essentials without any luxuries ( has hairdryer, satellite TV, en suite...however small bath, telephone , small refrig.,). Our room was small, but had a small terrace( only view of backs of buildings, but outside at least and were able to "sit out" since weather was warm and room was small which seems to be typical). We were in Room 220( one flight up and on the back side of house) and were comfortable with our double bed. Proprietors and staff try to please and are helpful and the place is clean. The breakfast was nutritious: cereal, orange juice, toast, jams, milk, coffee , tea, croissants , sliced cold cheese and ham........ same everyday and served in the basement dining room which was pleasant. There was a hot pot and instant coffee , tea, etc. were furnished in the room as were adequate clean towels each day ( no bathcloths!). Bed linen was nice and sheets were changed at least once during the week and nicely made each day.
We booked for a week and got a 70 pounds per day rate. They also have an annex around the corner called the Argos House which is about 10 pounds cheaper, but we thought the convenience of having the desk and breakfast room at hand was worth it and we liked to looks of Sussex Gardens better than the one Argos is on. On Spring and London Streets( the two short streets that lead up to Praed ST ( and Paddington stations) from Sussex Gardens), there are several good( not great, but we found the ethnic ones better than Brit food) restaurants (Shalimar, Ask, and another better Italian one) as well as little grocers, a laundromat, etc. It is only a block or so to Lancaster Gate Tube( which we preferred to Paddington; crowd that used it "looked better") and also Hyde Park; Paddington Rail and Tube stations are a couple blocks. Also we were able to catch the Big Bus Tour on London St ( At Praed St) which was convenient and we bought tickets at desk from Maria. All in all, we were pleased with our place to stay .... we were not there much, but were comfortable, felt safe and thought it to be convenient. We did enjoy walking in Hyde Park very much.
We felt it was good accommodation for London and for the price. Someone on the Forum during the summer responded that they had stayed there last spring and thought it OK, but their bed was hard and there was remodeling going on then. They had a family room (for their children too) and their parents had a double room which she felt was nicer than the family room which also was up several flights of stairs, I think too.
I suppose you know they have a website and also e-mail. I have both in my notes . Let me know if you do not have those addresses and I will forward them to you.
Hope this helps.
Jo Ann

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Veronica

Jo Ann,

Thank you so very much for the insight on the Rhodes Hotel. My husband and I have made the decision to stay at the Admiral House Hotel.

I would like to thank everyone for their support and asstance.

Veronica