Places to stay in London

Search

Places to stay in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to stay in London

Hi, I'm looking to make my first trip to London in September and wanted to see if anyone could give me some hints on where to stay. I was very interested in staying in an appartment style place like Castletown House but they seem to be fully booked. Can someone please recommend a nice, safe, and affordable place to stay in London?

Thank you in advanced for everyones help.

cqtraveler
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM

http://www.londontown.com/hotels/inf...n_house/154737

one my favorite apartment style places from personal

experience many options here and on www.booking.com

However get best deals betterbidding.com bidding Priceline

Thames view room Tower Hotel London $80 last winner for me

awesome deal... Happy Hunting,
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Ugh.

What's "nice"?

What's "affordable"? Actual per night #s you're willing to pay.

What's an "apartment style place"? Do you mean a suite hotel like Embassy Suites or nightly apartment rentals? Citadines and Oakwood are two choices for the latter. Oakwood's properties in London are generally located more for business travelers than tourists.

As for "where" to stay - get a tube map and look at it. Ideally: stay somewhere you have access to the Piccadilly or Northern Lines and within the route of the Circle Line (unless you're close to the South Bank area). To see this on a map, go to Londontown.com
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
welcome to Fodors cqtraveler. You will get lots of help on here -- but it really is necessary to give us useful info before we can give useful advice.

Budget? (for instance, Dolphin House that quo mentions, is nice and in a decent location, but would be fairly expensive for a lot of visitors -- and not for others)
When?

How many days?

How many people/what size flat?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, sorry for leaving out some of the key information. Here we go:

Nights: 6-8
People: 2
Per night rate: $120 or lower (lower being better)
Type of room: To be honest I heard the appartment style, like the "Castletown House," were nice and affordable but we aren't putting off the option of staying at a hotel. Just really want to get London experience.

Thanks all for your help!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
yk

Try Travelodge - they have various properties scattered all over London. If you book way in advance, some rooms are £50/night. I think that is possibly the cheapest you can find that is somewhat decent.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM

$120 a night (approx £75) is not very much for an apartment --or even for a 3 star hotel. Some Travelodges or <i>a few</i> Premier Inns will fit in that budget. Otherwise you'll mostly be limited to 2 star/tourist B&B hotels.

If you are comfortable bidding priceline or using hotwire you can get a much nicer 4 star property for around $100 or a bit more. Of course you won't know which hotel it is until after you've paid for it.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM

We always stay at the Tavistock, not fancy but clean, reasonable, and right in the heart of things--you can walk to most sights, i.e., the British Museum, Covent Garden and Picadilly, etc. look it up.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM

The Tavistock is fine -- however it is well over your £75/$120 budget. Not sure when your trip is -- but for random 7 night stays in August, it will run around £95/$150 a night.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:11 AM

AS mentioned above try Londontown.com. I always mangae to get a room in a very good location for around 80 GBP. You may have to prepay to get that rate, I did for this fall's trip but that was no problem.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM

If you have an American credit card, Priceline will get you something decent for around your budget. Really the best option in the $100-range.

To be blunt, I've never seen a suggestion on this board that offers a decent hotel for close to what you will pay with Priceline.