Reload this Page >

places to stay in Cinque Terre w/ a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Hilary

My husband and I are going to Cinque Terre for the first time in May. Vernazza and Manarola seem like the best places to stay, but we will have a rental car. Any suggestions on how this can be done or where we can stay?

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Sherry

Hilary. When I was thinking of visiting the Cinque Terra, I had a car. I received information from the area with all kinds of hotel lists and I know some said even "requires a car". Now of course, I cannot find it. But I do have this e-mail address, and they were very nice about answering questions about lodging and maybe they can help you. It might be worth a try. [email protected] <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Manarola is a good choice unless you're looking for a younger crowd (there was more of a college-age atmosphere in Vernazza and quieter, more refined atmosphere in Manarola). We also thought Manarola the prettiest. <BR> <BR>There is a road to Vernazza, but I doubt you'd be allowed in with your car. There are lots of restrictions, even in the largest town, Monterosso. <BR> <BR>Your best bet is to park at the large car park in Monterosso and take the train (15 minutes) to Manarola. It's a very short walk from the lot to the station. Or you can easily take the train from La Spezia. <BR> <BR>Be warned, however, that the trains do not seem to run very often at certain times of the day. We sat at 5-Terre stations for a couple of hours last week in the middle of the afternoon. It appeared on the schedule the there should have been more trains, but maybe we were too early in the season. <BR> <BR>Have fun. The Cinque Terre were wonderful.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:08 AM
betsy

Hi B in A <BR> <BR>Where did you stay in Manarola and can you recommend it? We're headed there in October and I'm looking for a small, friendly hotel, B&B, or pensione. We will not have a car at that point in our trip. <BR> <BR>Grazie

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Hi Betsy. We chose to stay in the largest town, Monterosso, as it was our first trip and few hotels were open so early in the season. Manarola was our favorite town. It was the most picturesque, quietest and seemed to be a bit more upscale (which may translate to higher prices). <BR> <BR>We did have lunch at the restaurant of what we had heard was a good hotel - I think it was the Marina Piccollo (I'm likely spelling that wrong). I cannot vouch for the hotel, but the lunch was good, if slightly more expensive than other 5-Terre restaurants. <BR> <BR>We had a good stay at the Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso if you'd like to hear more about that.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Brian in Atlanta

The path between Monterosso and Vernazza (the 1st and 2nd towns) is fairly tough and some parts are in disrepair, but we found it to be the most rewarding. Took about 1.5 hours and never felt unsafe.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:17 PM
paul

We were in Italy two years ago with a rental car and we visit Cinque Terre. I am sorry that my memory is foggy about this but we drove from Lucca to the town where you pick up the train to Cinque Terra. We read in Rick Steves guidebook about a garage right below the trainstation that will safely store your car inside. The garage had a sign outside that said AVIS but it was not related to the rental car company. We paid them a modest fee and they kept the car for three days. It worked out just fine. I would recommend that you check the Italy guidebooks under a section that describes driving to Cinque Terre. Everything we read recommend not driving to the towns themselves as the streets are narrow and access is limited.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 08:33 PM
betsy

Hi Brian <BR> <BR>Yes, I'd like to hear your report about the Hotel Pasquale. Have been planning to stay in Manarola, but if the Pasquale is a good hotel, we might consider Monterosso. We'll be arriving by train from Milan (we pick up our rental car as we leave Florence several after CT), so if you have any information about getting to the Pasquale from La Spezia (I think that's where the train from Milan reaches CT). I checked out the Pasquale's web site and the photos look great. Is the location within walking distance of the sights, restaurants, shops, markets, etc? <BR> <BR>Thanks, Brian. You're a real asset to this great board.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Brian in Atlanta

OK, I'm blushing. The Pasquale was a nice hotel - nice people - great views of the beach - no balcony but windows that open wide. The room was clean and comfortable, but the bathroom, while modern, was the smallest I've ever seen. Impossible to disrobe inside. Good, hot powerful shower, but I never quite could manuver to clean my back. <BR> <BR>The trains rumble closely by, but not frequently to bother us. It was actually kind of neat. <BR> <BR>Very friendly staff - good breakfast. It's very central - located between the old town (near the beach) and the newer portion (near the parking lot and the train station). The old and new towns are separated by the tunnel. It's about a 10 minute walk to the station (it's the closest hotel in old town to the station). Everything is so compact in these towns that no matter where you are, you feel close to everything. <BR> <BR>Monterosso vs Manarola depends on what you want. Manarola is much smaller and more remote. It is also much more charming. However Monterosso has more restaurant/cafe/shop options. Not nearly as pretty as Manarola, but more lively. I'm not sure which I'd pick if, make that when, I go back. Good luck. <BR> <BR>BTW, the hike from Monterosso to Vernaza was our favorite. Not easy though.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 10:22 AM
steve

how often does the train run in this area, and what's the nearest normal town on the train route where you can find a hotel and leave your car?

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 11:40 AM
martha wagner

I don't have any answers...just questions as I, too, am planning a CT terre trip. I will be going with a group of 4 to 10 (not yet sure) in mid-Oct. and want to spend three nights. We will have rental cars we need to park somewhere. Can anyone offer recommendations for accomodation in Vernazza or Manarola? It seems one must book by phone or fax, right? <BR> <BR>Martha