Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Bellagio, Italy: Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
wic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a hard time finding a place to stay in Bellagio, Italy (end of May 2006, 1 night). It dosen't seem like there are many hotels in Bellagio and the ones I find are either too expensive, require a 3 night stay, or are booked. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM

First, please tell us which hotels you tried that turned you down. Otherwise, you're likely to get recommendations for hotels you already know can't take you. It will also give us an idea of your budget.

Second, do you have to stay in Bellagio? It is the most popular choice on Lake Como. Try Varenna or Menaggio--you may have better luck there and Bellagio is a short and scenic boat ride away.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM

We would also need to know what is "too expensive" for you. I could make a few suggestions right now, but they may or may not be in your price range.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM

wic,

BTilke & tuscanlifeedit have both asked sensible questions.

You might also want to have a look at the official Bellagio tourist office website - it contains information on all of the various acommodations in the town along with links to their websites;

http://www.bellagiohotel.it/

It would also be worth doing a search here on this forum for Bellagio (see the "search this forum" box above) as there have been plenty of reports & recommendations in the past. Here is a link to my trip report (we stayed at the Hotel Metropole) for starters;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34598121

Jim
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:40 AM
DRJ

Google Hotel Silvio. Small with a good kitchen.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:47 AM

I thought if I went back, I'd stay at the Belvedere, which is up the hill behind the town, with great views. Before I stayed at the Florence, with no view. It's OK but nothing special. I originally rejected the Belvedere because it is out of town. That seems ridiculous having been there. It's a small town. And it would be quieter up the hill.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Weekender

I can highly recommend the Hotel Bellagio which is owned by the Hotel du Lac. Website is www.hotelbellagio.it. Totally redone (new baths, a/c, etc.) with great views of the water.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM

http://www.bellagiosilvio.com/

Stayed there before and really liked the food and owners.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM

We have stayed at the Hotel Florence twice and loved it. Make sure you ask for a lake front room with a balcony.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
wic
Original Poster

An update on my progress:
Hotel Belvedere and the Hotel Bellagio both have available rooms for that night. Now I am torn as I have seen positive postings for both. Any stong opinions on either?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM

We stayed at the Metropole in Bellagio a few years ago and REALLY liked the location. Room right over the water, and just a few steps from where the hydrofoil from Como docked (and I guess the ferries also).
Breakfast was good, and staff friendly.
You can get a good,full description from "JJBhoy" of this site about his trip to Bellagio last April.
The Belvedere , I understand, is up the hill , but has a nice view.
Have a good trip.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Weekender

The Hotel Bellagio is a small hotel just a few stairs up from the main piazza and landing dock. Convenience factor is great. Views are wonderful from the higher floor rooms. As mentioned, the hotel is owned by the Hotel due Lac which enables you to use the facilities at the Bellagio Sporting Club as well as slight discounts on meals at the Hotel du Lac. Rates at the Hotel Bellagio are considerably less, too. The Belvedere is lovely with more of a resort feel but somewhat removed from the heart of Bellagio.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Il Perlo Panorama above Bellagio. They have a web site.