Reload this Page >

Places to eat in Rouen, Honfleur , Bayeux & Giverny

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Gail

We're looking for recomendations of places to eat -not necesarily all 'expensive'. <BR>We'll be in Rouen for 2 days & Honfleur just for a Sunday afternoon. <BR>Would also like to hear about places in the Bayeux area as we'll be there for 4 days.<BR>We're staying over in Giverny so we'll have lunch & dinner there.<BR>All this will be at mid October.<BR><BR>Looking forward to hearing your recomendations. Thanks.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Jean

<BR>In Rouen:<BR><BR>La Couronne<BR>31, Place du Vieux Marche<BR>Reservations: 35.71.40.90 TEL<BR> 35.71.05.78 FAX<BR><BR>This restaurant has been in business since 1345 and faces the market place and the spot where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. It is very French and Norman, and we thought it to be moderately priced. We were the only non-French diners the night we were there, and they had to bring a waiter out to take our order because the maitre'd didn't speak English. But we had no problems communicating, and this dinner turned out to be our best in France on that trip. I have since talked with an American acquaintance who lives in France, and she also had dined here and thought it exceptional.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Ellen

I stumbled upon a great seafood restaurant in the center of town by the name of La Mer. I can't remember exactly the meals we consumed but both of us thought highly of the fish dishes both in terms of taste and presentation. It was also very modestly priced! A great find.<BR>Ellen

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
David

We had a wonderful meal at l'Assiette Normande while in Bayeux. It's very close to the entrance to the Cathedral in the town center. Very small restaurant; one of the waitresses is co-owner with her chef husband. Customers seemed to be mostly locals which added to the atmosphere.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Fred

In Honfleur one of the best restaurants we've been to - L'Absinthe, across the street from the hotel of the same name. In Bayeux two good ones - Le Petit Restaurant, a small local place and very good and Le Rapier, almost as good as L'Absinthe.For Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Anthony

We visited Bayeux and Honfleur in May. I liked Lion d'Or in Bayeux. A little pricey but well worth it. I second L'Absinthe in Honfleur. We stayed in town three days and ate there each evening. Advance Reservations a must as it is just about the only game in town.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Gail

<BR>Is there any place in Honfleur that is still good for lunch besides L'Absinthe that wouldn't be so pricey?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Beth

We had lunch at the American Impressionist Museum in Giverny, nice patio, garden view, and inexpensive but nicely made food.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:19 AM
xx

L'Absinthe owns a cheaper cafe on the same block of it's hotel, good 3 courses fixed menu for lunch at 12 euro.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Christina

I don't know the relationship, if any, to the Absinthe, but I like the restuarant Le Chat qui Peche very much in Honfleur. I ate lunch there, typical local regional cuisine, very attractive restaurant and atmostphere, and it wasn't that expensive. My friend's husband took us there and he is from Normandy originally, as is his family from way back.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Suzanne

In Rouen, we were referred to a restaurant called "Jumbo". I remember the name was so odd that I wondered what kind of place would that be and I was very pleasantly surprised. It is a buffet-style restaurant with all you can eat meals priced very reasonably. My brother and I ate a complete, filling meal for about $7 USD. It was a local place so do ask around since it is not part of a chain.<BR><BR>In Bayeux, we ate at The Hotel Notre Dame restaurant. Very elegant meals with 3 or 4 courses that priced out about $14 or so, varying dependent on lunch or dinner. I would also recommend the Lion d'Or too.<BR><BR>In Giverny, avoid eating across the street from Monet's home - or any restaurants right around that immediate area - as the prices are quite high. We ended up buying a sandwich and soda from a local food stand nearby, rather than sit in the 'Monet' restaurant and pay $25 for lunch!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Betty

Hi, Gail. Some friends and I had a nice lunch at Au Vieux Honfleur in September, 2000. As you face the port, it is on your right, next to the old church (forget its name), has a red awning. I can't remember exactly how much we paid, but I doubt that it was more than about 120-130 FF -(I would probably have balked at anything more than that!)- about 20-25 &euro; now. We ate there at the insistance of one of our group who had been there before. She ordered a huge seafood platter that was a work of art in itself.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:23 PM
bill

One of our favorite experiences in France was eating at Hotel D'Evereux in Vernon (near Giverny) one rainy afternoon on an aborted trip to Giverny. The staff was wonderful and the food excellent. The Calvados was especially memorable. On a later trip to Giverny we ate at Les Jardins de Giverny (a half mile or so on the road back to Vernon) and loved it. The dining was al fresco in a beautiful yard and the food was very good. Of course, once back in Vernon we stopped at Hotel D'Evereux for a Calvados. We didn't have a full meal in Rouen, but had tea and pastries at Le Petit Zinc and thought it was great. It is right across from L'Eglise Jeanne D'Arc.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Sandy

Does anyone know if shops are open on Sunday in Rouen?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:06 AM
kavey

<BR>Enjoyed a simple lunch of mussels and frites at Cote Port facing the basin in Honfleur<BR><BR>Had a nice dinner at Les Flots, good choice, not too expensive, good service<BR><BR>Had a great dinner in Le Bistro du Port, next door to L’Absinthe – we nearly avoided it because the outdoor seating was plastic chairs (like garden chairs) but we liked the menu – it was a wonderful meal. Details of what we ate and prices are in my Honfleur trip report, search Kavey and Honfleur if interested.<BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Jennifer

Gail,<BR><BR>We just returned from Bayeaux last week and ate at Lion D'or. The service was excellent, but the food did not live up to the service or the price. I went based on other's recommendations so maybe the chef has changed since others had good experiences in the past.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:34 PM
kam

Outside a bit from Honfleur used to be (10 years ago?) a wonderful hotel called La Ferme San Simeon. We had a delightful stay there and a most memorable meal.Don't know if they offer lunch or just dinner. The mussels were to die for.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Suzanne

Message to Sandy: There are no shops open on Sundays in Rouen, except for 2 or 3 brasseries for coffee. All other markets, newsstands, etc were closed for business - as most shops are throughout Europe on Saturdays and Sundays.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:21 PM
traveller

Ferme Simon burned down and reopened, but it is very pricey and formal and the food is great. For Honfleur, you will have more fun avoiding this expensive beautiful place by mingling at a waterside cafe.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:53 PM
xxx

TTT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -