Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   places to eat in Amalfi, Positano, Ravello end of September (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-to-eat-in-amalfi-positano-ravello-end-of-september-354961/)

taya Sep 4th, 2003 04:48 AM

places to eat in Amalfi, Positano, Ravello end of September

Although I haven't had great success with answers to any of my questions before, my husband and I are going to Amalfi area for four days end of September and are looking for suggestions with regards to great places to eat. We would prefer to not pay more than 100 eu for each meal and we love good wine. For lunches we would enjoy seaside taverns if there is such a thing. We will have a car so transportation will not be an issue unless parking is unavailable. We are leaving Sept 14 so I hope someone replies.

jmv Sep 4th, 2003 05:36 AM

We too are leaving for Amalfi area on September 14. From combing this and other sites and guidebooks I'm considering the following dining options:
Positano--restaurant of the Hotel Covo dei Saraceni, La Cambusa, the ever popular Chez Black--all are right on the Positano beach/harbor, Donna Rosa or Il Ritrovo in nearby Montepertuso via car or cab

Amalfi--Gemma, near cathedral, La Caravella, Lido Azzura

Lizzie518 Sep 4th, 2003 06:33 AM

I will second the Covo dei Saraceni. We ate there and it was lovely.....food and ambience. I highly recommend the fish.

mmr41 Sep 4th, 2003 04:32 PM

Taya -- Great time to be on la costaria Amafitana. San Giovanni is a real find, one of those places that make you feel like you have discovered a good local spot even tho alot of others go there.
A fun place just west of Amalfi is Al pesce d' oro on right side going toward Positano, good seafood and good pizza. Nice view of coast.
Also agree hardily on Donna Rosa and Il Ritrovo. Buon appetito!!

WanderingTexan Sep 4th, 2003 05:24 PM

I don't try to over plan meals. I don't think the food in the south of Italy is all that great anyway.

I thought Chez Black was very ordinary, but a good place to have an inexpensive meal.

We ate at a wonderful place in Montepurtuso called La Tagliata. (this is probably mispelled) I believe two can eat for apx. $75. The owner and staff are very friendly. This was the best meal we have had in Positano!

The next best meal was at Palazzo Murat. They have a lovely outdoor restaurant and very good food! I have booked the garden for my daughter's wedding reception!

Go for a drink or lunch at Le Sirenuse. The view is the best!

San Pietro has very good food, lovely terrace, but very expensive if you want to splurge on one meal.

I always drink the local wine, it is usually good and inexpensive.

Have a great trip! WT

Grinisa Sep 4th, 2003 05:33 PM

If you like "seaside taverns" you might enjoy Da Adolfo. It is a little shack on a private beach just east of the San Pietro. A small boat picks you up at the dock in Positano and shuttles you to the restaurant. Most people spend the better part of the afternoon there, eating, swimming and relaxing on the beach. The boat will shuttle you back to Positano in the afternoon. I like Da Costantino in Montepertusso. Very friendly place with wonderful views and extremely reasonable. In Ravello, try Cumpa di Cosima.

ready2travel Sep 17th, 2006 06:58 PM

TTT

Gerardo Sep 22nd, 2006 02:08 AM

The Ristorante San Giovanni referred to above is the WWW.ristorantesangiovanni.com in Pontone