Reload this Page >

Places of interest during Winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Andrew Vera

Hi,<BR><BR>I'll be traveling to Venice on the 17th for five days and was considering a side trip to a neighboring city that I could get there by train. I have been to Florence, but only for a few hours on a tour and would consider going back, but I would like some other suggestions. Anything would be most appreciated. I would even consider an overnight trip to Austria if it can be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time (don't want to spend all my time on the train).<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your time.<BR><BR>Andrew

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Vincenzo

Dear Andrew,<BR>imagine to take the train Eurostar from Venice to Milan.<BR>Well. First stop ( fifteen minutes ): Padova. I suggest to visit this town for squares, church and museum. Not less than 3 hours.<BR>Second stop ( other fifteen minutes ): Vicenza. I suggest to visit Vicenza, too. This is the town of Palladio and you'll appreciate architecture of this town. Not less than 3 hours.<BR>Third stop ( other thirty minutes ): Verona. Verona means Arena and means Giulietta and Romeo. Verona is wonderful. Not less than 4 hours.<BR>So, two of the five days you can spend in this way. Maybe one day Padova and Vicenza and another day Verona.<BR>Use Eurostar train 1st class.<BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:15 PM
JimF

Andrew - If you want to try something a little different than Venice go into the Dolomite mountains just north of Venice. The best bet would be to take the train to Bolzano/Bozen with a change in Verona. The entire trip takes 3 1/2 hours. Once in Bolzano take the bus to the little town of Castelrotto (about 1 hour) which is located in the Alpe di Siusi area. The bus ride is spectacular itself. The Alpe di Siusi is the highest mountain plain in Europe. The hotels give you a complementary bus pass that will take you throughout the region. We went there for two nights early last March and the scenery is breathtaking. If you are interested email me and I will give you specifics. I even have a few photos to share. Enjoy Venice.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Judy

There is a huge outdoor market in Padova every Saturday right on the square outside the Cathedral.<BR><BR>In Padova, don't miss Bassilica Sant'Antonio,the crowd of pilgrims is incredible.<BR><BR>There are frequent and cheap IC trains to Verona. You could stop as many places on the route as you like in one day with the same ticket.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:59 PM
cmt

Ravenna?