Reload this Page >

Staying in Convents in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:26 AM
PAWrona

I am going to Rome later this year, as both a pilgrim and tourist for the first time, for the Jubilee year. I am wondering if anyone has stayed in any of the convents instead of a hotel. I understand there are a number of these "holy hotels," that they are less expensive, and that they have curfews, but I am looking for anyone to comment on what it was really like staying in such a place. We would also like to stay near the Vatican, or is this that not a good idea, in terms of places to eat at night, shops, etc.? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 01:15 PM
michele

Try these two sources: <BR> <BR>BED AND BLESSINGS ITALY by June walsh and Anne Walsh <BR> <BR>CITS, Viale del Monte Oppio <BR>30 00184 ROMA Tel: 39 6/487-3145 <BR>Fax: 39 6/474-4432 ( This has been set-up to handle the Jubilee crowds in Rome with specific information on lodgings in convents). <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 01:43 PM
michele

Yes, I've stayed in one in Venice. It was similar to a dorm room. It had a bathroom and shower. The curfew was (I think) ten o'clock. The convents vary on price, accommodations, and curfew ( some will give you a key, some are spartan, some are more luxurious). They are VERY popular, so book as soon as you can.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 07:00 PM
Rex

The Los Angeles Times runs some good travel articles, and many of them now require that you pay a fee to read them from the archives, but this is till in the free area (I don't understand which ones are free, and which are not): <BR> <BR>http://www.latimes.com/travel/trspan...000000024.html <BR> <BR>A Convent in the Eternal City Offers Enduring, Endearing Charm for Visitors <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Sara

Did you ever feel that the curfew was a real burden, or were you so worn out by that time that you were not concerned with having to keep to their schedule?

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 07:54 PM
gb

Coopertiva Il Sogno will find and book convents in Rome. Check out www.romeguide.it or email to [email protected]

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:39 AM
michele

The curfew was not a burden for us. We were dead tired. Also, as I mentioned, curfews vary and some convents will give you a key. The other LA TIMES article that describes several convents is entitled HOLY HOSPITALITY. I could try and email it to you; but that part of our service is a bit unreliable. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:51 AM
michele

PAW, <BR> <BR>I attempted to email you three articles on convents. Let me know if you received any of them. <BR> <BR>CASA DI SANTA BRIGIDA (ROME),96 Piazza Farnese. TEL: 011 3906 6889 2596, FAX: 011 39 06 6889 1573 is the creme de la creme of convents. There is NO curfew, I strongly suggest telephoning and if you do not speak Italian find someone who does to make the call. The convent is extremely popular. It woule be wise to call a presto, which I think means "now". <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Susie

PAW, a stay in a Rome convent sounds like the way you want to go to give your visit the final Jubilee year flavor. If you aren't going until October, you may have time to reserve using your Fodors friends' suggestions and assistance. <BR> <BR>This forum may work better for us than the carpls server my friend. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 12:08 PM
Paulo

I never stayed in a nunnery in Rome. To add a bit on the feedback you got so far, Paw, you may also wish to check the following site on the subject: <BR>http://www.santasusanna.org/html/lodging.html <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 09:22 AM
PAW

Thanks to everyone who had such great suggestions for me. I really appreciate the generosity, with your time and helpful information.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:05 PM
topper

For Ed who is looking for this info.