Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Places I can do without -- (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/places-i-can-do-without-50326/)

Al Aug 7th, 1999 09:30 AM

Places I can do without --

Perhaps I sound like an iconoclast, but there are some places on this planet that I can do without visiting. Do you have some you would like to list? Among mine are: Russia (other than St. Petersburg's Hermitage -- can't we move it to Paris?); Saudi Arabia; Libya; Colombia; South Africa; Nigeria; Zaire (or whatever its name is today); the Outback of Australia (I have a hunch that it is highly over-rated); Calcutta; Myanmar (sounds nice but I hear it's a sweaty swamp); anywhere they fly the Confederate flag proudly. All this will sound very politically incorrect, but that's what free speech is all about.

Dana Aug 7th, 1999 10:31 AM

Places i can do without: <BR>After traveling throughout Turkey (enjoyed, Italy (enjoyed), London (enjoyed)...Athens was terrible. Its a dirty city without personality. Thank goodness we didn't plan our trip around Athens. If your going, you must see the famous ruins, but a half day is enough...get out fast. The Greek Islands are beautifully rugged, but most towns are full of tourist swap shops looking for a buck. Avoid the port towns and see the countryside. I found the Turks to be much more friendly than most of the people in Greece.

raeona Aug 7th, 1999 01:11 PM

Can you still be an iconoclast if you're not alone, Al? Cuz you can count me in on just about every place on your list, and a few more...starting with China. I realized several years ago, somewhat to my chagrin, that I am NOT a very adventurous traveler. Feels like some kind of lack, but there it is....

Maira Aug 7th, 1999 02:40 PM

Yes, Al, you are right. As much as some may clain that all is "motherhood and aple pie", there are some of us who shamelessly admit about places where there is just NO interest to visit. Mine are India, Japan, Korea & VietNam. I am sure there are others; let's just say that's the top of the list.

dan woodlief Aug 7th, 1999 03:14 PM

This is tough for me to answer, since there is so much of the world that I want to see. I guess some of the places that are far down on my list, or maybe not on my list at all, are: Jamaica, Korea (since I have already been to China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan - yes, I realize they aren't really the same), Singapore, Branson Missouri (please don't hold this against me if you live there), Dallas, Andorra (unless I get to the rest of Europe and want to say I have been everywhere), and a Caribbean cruise. Nevertheless, if someone offered me a free trip to any of these, I would take it in a second. <BR> <BR>While we are at it, my top places to visit that I haven't yet visited include: Italy, UK, India, Kenya, Spain, Russia, Greece, Australia, Netherlands, national parks of Utah, Arizona, and California, and Peru. Also, a return photography trip to China. <BR> <BR>As much as I agree with you about the Confederate flag Al, I am going to Charleston this October. I do wish they would take that flag down though.

April Aug 7th, 1999 04:51 PM

It's a fair question - after all we don't all like the same colours equally. But maybe for us outsiders you can explain the confederate flag thing. <BR> <BR>I find that places I do or don't want to visit change with the political climate or with my views as I age. In a constantly changing world I can just wait for political problems to settle before going to that spot. I used to say that I never wanted to set foot in Mexico or India but now am beginning to see myself visiting India some day. On the other hand, places that used to be of interest aren't as much now, such as: Rio and Germany for Oktoberfest (I don't like crowds or drinking - what was I thinking?). My opinion of Greece is pretty much the same as Dana's except that, after a couple of days, I thought Athens had quite a bit of character. I have no big hankering to return to Santorini, or to Trinidad or Jamaica. <BR> <BR>Las Vegas and Waikiki, China, Australia aren't on, or aren't high on my list of travel destinations but the last two could change. I got stuck going to Mexico as part of a cruise and found it not so bad. <BR> <BR>So there you go. Some places you think will be great aren't. And others that you dread turn out OK. <BR>

s.fowler Aug 7th, 1999 05:05 PM

5:30am at the airport in Skopje, Macedonia. Walk-to-wall people inside and out. Not to be repeated. <BR> <BR>On the theme - I have no interest in Africa. I'd like to go *some* place in Asia to get the sense of it, but no strong preferences where.

dan woodlief Aug 7th, 1999 07:28 PM

Here's the explanation on the Confederate flag for you April. There has been quite a bit of controversy in the southern U.S. over what place the confederate flag has in today's South. Some see it as a symbol of regional pride and history. Others see it as a symbol of racism. On a lower level, the issue relates to individual rights such as whether students should be able to wear it to school or whether it should be waved by fans at University of Mississippi football games. I think most schools have made it a no-no for t-shirts, etc. On a higher level, the states of Georgia and Mississippi still have the Confederate flag incorporated into their state flags. According to everything I have read, Georgia changed its flag to this design during the desegregation movement in protest. The state of South Carolina (hence my reference to Charleston) flies the Confederate flag with the state flag over the state capitol (dating back to the centennial observance for the beginning of the Civil War-1961). Currently, several groups are calling for people to boycott these states by not travelling there. Two big organizations have already cancelled conferences originally planned for South Carolina.

raeona Aug 7th, 1999 09:27 PM

I know this isn't the topic of the thread...but isn't this whole Confed flag thing not unlike, on the other end of the spectrum; banning the children's story book Little Black Sambo? Both ARE a part of our history....I just read, this evening, a great quote from a Southern, Black woman (active in the Civil rights movement and founder of the singing group, Sweet Honey in the Rock), that you must be "fluent in history and not hide from it". I guess I could see that still wanting to fly the Confed flag is kind of a "red flag" BUT if whole states want o continue to identify themselves as "backwoods redneck racists...," who are we to argue...? <BR> <BR>Or ignore their beaches and other lovely, landscape -- not human -- draws??? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Al Aug 7th, 1999 09:46 PM

Here are some more "do-withouts": Brighton, Blackpool, Atlantic City, Torremolinos, Marseilles, Cannes, Lima, Acapulco, Las Vegas, Barstow, Gallup, damp campgrounds in the Smokies, fishing shacks in Wisconsin, East St. Louis. I've seen 'em all -- never again.

Catherine Aug 8th, 1999 05:07 AM

Don't you think that all travel is worthwhile even if you don't like somewhere? Travel lifts us out of the mundane and makes us think. <BR>Really we tend to stereotype countries,just like we do people.I think it's delightful to have pre-conceived ideas and then have them totally disproved. <BR>Sometimes though we are right.I hate Los Angeles and I hate Miami,but both places were still experiences that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. <BR>New orleans and Quebec city blew me away.They were so different than what I thought they would be. <BR>I would go anywhere and see anything,except for countries that are dangerous.I have always wanted to go to Kashmir.It looks like I won't get to do that in my life time.

Erika Aug 8th, 1999 09:28 AM

<BR>There are very few places I wouldn't visit - of course, some destinations are higher on the "to see or revisit" list than others. But, I noticed that Las Vegas was a destination some don't care about - and I understand that - but, I go to Las Vegas once or twice each year, and win enough to finance my next few trips to Europe!

nj Aug 8th, 1999 11:26 AM

Interesting thoughts all...I have to agree with the recent posts that travelling to any new destination, for me, has some value in rounding out my perspective, and helps clarify why I value certain travel experiences....which in turn makes it easier to anticipate whether new destinations are 'good bets' or not. <BR>On another note, some destinations require a unique perspective and special criteria by which they should be measured...Las Vegas right up at the top of that list. Character? Culture? Potential to appeal to one's 'soul'? Forget it. Not unlike Disney World in my book. An artificial environment and not pretending otherwise. <BR>My top "do withouts": <BR>Zurich <BR>Montreal <BR>Mexico City <BR>Nice/Cannes <BR>Savannah <BR>New Orleans <BR>LA

sabrina Aug 8th, 1999 12:12 PM

Al, <BR> <BR>I'm sorry you feel the way you do about South Africa. I was there in May and June and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Beaches in Cape Town and Durban are second to none. The people in Johannesburg are among the friendliest on Earth and, yup, I made it back from there without a scratch or a single harrowing incident. <BR> <BR>Two places top my list: Las Vegas and South Carolina. <BR> <BR>Vegas is the tackiest place on Earth. <BR> <BR>I've been to Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Columbia which are lovely places, physically, but leave a lot to be desired for African-Americans. Despite the claims of Southern hospitality, I found the people to be rather rude and suspicious. And regarding the flag issue: You cannot support that flag without inherently condoning an economic, social and political system that was based, for hundreds of years, on free slave labor. The confederate flag is a symbol of protest, hatred and subjugation of African-Americans. Would it be acceptable to fly the flag of the Nazi party simply because it was also a "part of history" Somehow I don't think so.

Al Aug 8th, 1999 12:35 PM

Sabrina: you put my feelings about the Confederate flag into words far better than I ever could. Having lived for almost a decade in the South, long before the Civil Rights Movement, I tasted the bitter lash of ostracism that goes with a Midwestern accent among the rednecks, yahoos, and Good Old Boys.

SimplyMe Aug 8th, 1999 01:39 PM

South Africa is a land of contrast. We have deserts and beautiful beaches. We had a president who showed more character than most presidents. Everyday I look at the mountains and am amazed at the beauty and think how lucky I am. I love the mediterranean climate of Cape Town. I also agree with others who say every country is worth experiencing. I quite look forward to India. A bit of every country you visit stays with you and enriches your life. <BR> <BR>Perfection is the last refuge for the mediocre.

Cheryl Z. Aug 8th, 1999 06:41 PM

<BR>my answer I guess is a different interpretation of the question = Antarctica. I'd LOVE to visit there...but I don't think more humans (and our accompanying polution, trash, noise etc.) belong there - eventually there would be no more Antarctica as we know and respect it. <BR>But to keep with the theme of the question - I'd say (having been there, done that) Mazatlan, New Orleans, Newark. I do wish I could see Russia, China, Africa though sometime in my lifetime.

Jay Aug 9th, 1999 02:05 AM

To Al - I don't really know how you can criticise those countries, when you obviously know so little about them. <BR>Saudi Arabia - some of the most beautiful landscape, beaches and weather in the world. Very friendly people, lots of culture and loads of history. <BR>Libya - very very beautiful and some of the most friendly people in the world (if you excuse the propoganda put out by their politicians). <BR>South Africa - beautiful weather, friendly people, lively culture, history stretching back to the commencement of humanity, lovely beaches, diverse flora and fauna not to mention the excellent exchange rate. <BR>Zaire - I only know about the part of it called Uganda. Wonderful wonderful scenery, one of the last surviving habitats of the mountain gorillas and also the chips, very friendly and helpful people, and an excellent culture. <BR>I am afraid from your comments I would have to call you a closed minded, opinioniated snob. Also the fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Western Europe. <BR>Regards <BR>Jemaine

elvira Aug 9th, 1999 05:03 AM

Wow, jemaine, I'm with you. To have opinions, like and dislikes, desires, preferences...definitely a sign of snobbism. Much better to all be the same. Tell us, Jemaine, should we all LIKE the Confederate Flag or should we all despise it?

elvira Aug 9th, 1999 05:05 AM

Wow, jemaine, I'm with you. To have opinions, like and dislikes, desires, preferences...definitely a sign of snobbism. Much better to all be the same. Tell us, Jemaine, should we all LIKE the Confederate Flag or should we all despise it?