Place to stay near Shannon Airport without a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking the bus from Killarney to Limerick and fly out of Shannon the following day. I would appreciate any suggestions for places to stay either in Limerick or close to the airport. I prefer a moderately priced hotel or b & b.

Thank you!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM

The Jury's Inn in Limerick is a nice afforable spot to overnight. Rooms are around 80 Euro a night.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Take the Bus Eireann from Limerick to Bunratty. There are pleny of B&B's around the Park and I am sure you could arrange for one of them to pick you up at the park and drop you off at the Bus stop the next morning. Buses run all day from the Park to Shannon Airport. You can kill most of the day in the Park and there is a nice shopping area across from the park and some decent restraunts. I can rec. Innishfree B&B which is just a mile from the Park on the Lower road. I have stayed there three years in a row my last night in Ireland and I have been very satisfied. She only takes cash but this year it was only 60 euro for two for one night night. Bus Eirann has a nice web site that is easy to navigate to find schedules. Have fun
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM

The Low Road in Bunratty runs right past the Castle and Durty Nelly's pub. There are lots of B&B's on that road (also cows), and all of them are above board as far as cleanliness and comfort.

We stayed at both Bunratty Grove and Bunratty Heights for our first night in and last night out of Ireland. The price was around 30 Euro per person. There is an extra "supplement" for a single person not sharing a room (maybe 45 Euros).

Both B&B's were generous with letting me use their phones for free. You can arrange for a shuttle or cab or bus to the airport. If you have the extra cash, do the Bunratty Folk Park Banquet (42 Euros) the night before you go...7pm! Lots of great food and entertainment; limitless wine and friendly guests. It's a lot less "kitchy", and less expensive than the Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet.

You can get those last minute souveniers across from the Castle at Blarney Woolen Mills (B&B's and Tourist Info right there have 10% off coupons).

Welcome Home!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:26 AM

I've stayed 3-times at the Railway Hotel (just across from Limerick BusEireann & Rail station). It's just a place to sleep: it has the cheapest pint in the area and a great Carvery lunch (if you get there by 3:00PM). I come in on BusEireann the day before my return flight to the U.S.

Buses to Shannon airport begin about 7:30AM and the Hotel Owners will make you an early breakfast if you ask. I usually have breakfast at 7:00AM and try to catch the 7:40AM Bus to the airport.

I have also stayed at the Royal George 'The George' on O'Connell St. - it cost almost twice as much as the Railway Hotel so I don't recommend it.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Bunratty village is worth staying in. You might be able to do Medieval Banquet at Bunratty Castle (need to book in advance) shop in the good quality gift shops in the village, visit Bunratty folk park; visit the pub in the folk park or Dirty Nellies and stay in B & B. Bunratty is reached by bus from Limerick or Killarney and there is also a bus service from the village to the airport. Everything in the village is within walking distance. I have stayed in a nice B & B called The Courtyard (see www.bunrattycourtyard.com) For banquet and/or folk park www.shannonheritage.com