Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Place to stay for Honeymoon in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/place-to-stay-for-honeymoon-in-london-427400/)

mlkelash May 1st, 2004 12:42 PM

Place to stay for Honeymoon in London

I am looking for a nice hotel to stay London for under $200. A travel agent had booked us at Thistle Islington, but I haven't heard anything good about it, and would like to find a better place for our honeymoon in June. We are only going to be in London for three nights (the rest is in Ireland) so I would like to be somewhere that is easily accesible to the best places to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

m_kingdom2 May 1st, 2004 12:48 PM

The Thistle Islington is located near the King Sq council estate.

For the same money, possible a little more - we're talking 125-150 a night, try the newly opened Malmaison, Charterhouse Square. It has a designery feel, and a relatively good restaurant. I advise this hotel as it is in a similar area - we're talking a mile away - to the Thistle Islington.

Or you could of course go somewhere completely different, I'm at a loss to find you any other hotels as by and large at your budget the quality will always be a bit iffy in London. Even some of the 5* properties aren't up to scratch.

The Malmasion has bright and pleasant rooms, so even if the service isn't great at least you will have a clean room to retire to. As it is so new I doubt your agent will have heard of it, it is a 4* property.

For 185, say an additional 100USD you could have Claridge's which is an institution and in a completely different league. I'd say for the sake of 300USD over the three day period, especially as it is your honeymoon stay there, I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Upon booking advise it is your honeymoon, and I'm sure you will be upgraded to a super suite!

janis May 1st, 2004 12:57 PM

Just to clarify something in m_kingdom's post: "council estate" - means public housing project.

But back to your question - No - Islington is not where I'd stay on my honeymoon. If you want to stay under $200 you can usually get wonderful 4 or even 5 star hotels in great neighborhoods for that (or a lot less sometimes) on Priceline.

m_kingdom2 May 1st, 2004 01:05 PM

A council estate, is none the less undesirable - it's not the social experiement that is perhaps implied by Janis - they are usualy associated with violent youths, violent drug dealers/users, and even the "OK" occupants are usually undesirables!

The Labour government of the 60s went on a little council housing spending spree, and expensive areas such as Hampstead and Primrose Hill were subject to the scarring of these architectural nightmares! Pimlico, a stones throw from the highly sought after Belgravia lies the Churchill Gardens Estate - around 6000 units all facing the Thames - what a waste of a site!

Anyway, i digress, the trouble with Priceline (although I have not used it) seems to be you cannot choose what property and as such it is a gamble really, but obviously many people win, but do some lose too?

janis May 1st, 2004 01:27 PM

My point was many Americans haven't heard the term Council Estate. To some "estate" sounds posh and up market. So I was just letting mikelash know what it meant.

as for priceline - using biddingfortravel really helps. London is a great city for PL since the ways the neighborhoods are split up and w/ the help of biddingfortravel you really do have a pretty good idea of which properties you'll get.

But bidding on PL is not the only way to get good rates in London - Londontown.com and other sites are really useful.

pilgrim May 1st, 2004 02:15 PM

I got Waldorf London for $100 for a trip this summer. It's near Covent Garden, so perfect for a night at the opera or shopping at the little shops.

I've heard that it is very modern and a very good value, definitely in your price range.

Congratulations on your wedding!