Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   place to stay between Manchester and York? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/place-to-stay-between-manchester-and-york-391338/)

mari3 Jan 24th, 2004 04:41 PM

place to stay between Manchester and York?

We will be flying into Manchester from the United States, and heading toward Scotland. Have been in the Yorkshire area a few years ago, but have you any personal recommendations for a place to stay for the first night's good rest, getting over jet lag etc. We don't really want to be in the city of York, but perhaps a nice, comfortable hotel in a small town 15 to 30 miles outside. We will have a car. B&B's are fine, but a hotel the first night might be better, we think. either/or ! Thanks

nibblette Jan 24th, 2004 05:12 PM

York is 2+ hours from Manchester. Maybe spend the first day/night in Manchester or the Lakes area instead after flying all night and being jet-lagged?

janis Jan 24th, 2004 05:22 PM

Since you don't know how you good will feel, I wouldn't plan on a long drive that first day. I'd prpbably stay somewhere near Bakewell. It is in the Peak District and very close to Chatsworth. It's not too far from Manchester airport and it is surrounded by beautiful scenery.

Xenos Jan 25th, 2004 02:22 AM

I agree with the others - driving to York isn't a good idea straight off a long haul flight.

Also, depending on the time of day, the Lakes can be a couple of hours drive from Manchester airport and Bakewell can take well over an hour (and is heading south, when you want to go North), so I would be inclined to find somewhere in the vicinity of the airport itself or Manchester city centre.

Alec Jan 25th, 2004 10:37 AM

Just south of Manchester Airport, there are a number of attractive country house style hotels. The one I can recommend is De Vere Mottram Hall in Prestbury, about 30 min drive from airport. It's very peaceful, with sporting facilities (golf, swimming etc) and a good restaurant.
http://www.devereonline.co.uk/hotel_mottram/
Rack rate is £150-200, but you can often get a discounted rate through www.laterooms.com and www.lastminute.com

janis Jan 25th, 2004 03:48 PM

It is true that Bakewell is south of Manchester -- but so is Manchester Airport. The reason I suggested it was because the scenery is so gorgeous, and it is an easy drive the next day over to the M1 to head north.

But if you don't want to drive 45 or so minutes, stay near the airport and get a really early start the next morning.

mari3 Jan 25th, 2004 07:59 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, but we surely do not want to go SOUTH from Manchester (even though the airport is on the S. side of the city) The plane arrives at 8:30AM and we ALWAYS drive a couple of hours, whether it is Paris, Glasgow etc....and we want to be headed toward Yorkshire. We spent a couple of days in Bakewell and the Peak Dictrict about 6 yrs. ago and it IS pretty, but too close to Manchester as a start for this trip. Leeds is just a big city, (isn't it?)but I was looking for a place before going into York. I know of places in the towns of Ripon,Knaresborough,Boroughbridge etc, but they are on past York and we would rather not do that. This question ,I guess, boils down to suggestions for restful places on the outskirts of York, or even in York. (not over 100 lbs. a night, preferably less!) (One other year we landed in Manchester and drove to the Lake District the first day, with no problem at all) Thanks

Morgana Jan 26th, 2004 12:53 AM

Hi
I live in North Yorkshire - maybe I can help.
Ripon and Knaresborough are NOT on past Yrk, they are west of York. York is touristy and therefore can be expensive. What about staying in Harrogate or just outside - not as touristy and plenty of choice as it's a Conference town.
Leeds is a big city (I work there), superb shopping, good restaurants but not a place to get over jetlag!! Harrogate tourist board has a list of bed and breakfast/hotels in the area, including some in the surrounding villages. My own personal suggestion is the Boars Head Hotel in Ripley, just outside Harrogate. The brasserie is in my top 5 restaurants (and I eat out a lot!!) and the village is tiny and quaint, with a castle in it! It would be about 2 hours drive from Manchester and a delightful place to stay over night.

Morgana Jan 26th, 2004 12:57 AM

The website is www.boarsheadripley.co.uk
M

mari3 Jan 26th, 2004 05:55 AM

Thanks, Morgana, for the nice reply and suggestion of the Boars Head in Ripley. Their web site is beautiful and I shall look into it further. The price may be a little too high , given what the dollar is doing in the overseas market. I will check out the Harrogate tourist list of accommodations. The bistro menu at the Boars Head sounds great!)Thanks

Morgana Jan 27th, 2004 12:38 AM

Hi again. On reflection maybe the Boars Head isn't the best place for a quick overnight stay as you wouldn't do it justice. You would be tempted to explore the castle, village etc yet I expect you will also want to make an earlyish start up to Scotland. Plus I didn't quite realise how expensive it was! (you can get an overnight stay in the area for less than half of this). I had a quick look at the www.yorkshirevisitor.com website where you can do a search on accommodation in the Harrogate area. There's loads, including places such as farmhouses just outside the town which would be very quiet, cheap, and would give you a good 'full English' breakfast before you set off.
And yes, the bistro at the Boars Head is lovely!
M