Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Place to get coffee to go on Ile St Louis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading for Paris next week and renting an apt on Ile St. Louis. Does anyone know if there is a place on the Ile where we could get coffee to take back to the apt?

We love the coffee in Paris and it would be great not to have to brew ourselves. Also my husband could pick up his croissants at the same time. He is addicted to them!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Not as many people post on the weekends, and this is a holiday, so maybe next week. Take-out coffee isn't that common except for some "chain" type coffee/bakery/sandwich places, like Brioche Doree, etc. or McDonalds, places like that. There is one on the Champs-Elysees and around town in various business areas. I kind of doubt there is one on Ile St Louis, just seems highly unlikely to me, but I am not sure as I haven't stayed there. There are quite a few Starbucks around Paris, also, and I'm not up on where they all are, but their website probably says. Of course, that is just Starbucks coffee. Why did you rent an apt. if you don't even want to make coffee? Just seems like that is the main reason people often give for it, it's not really that difficult.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Personally, if I went to the trouble of renting an apartment, I'd buy some French coffee (or Italian) at the grocer and just worry about the morning croissants.

PagesJaunes says there are at least two boulangeries on Ile St Louis:
40 rue St Louis en l'Ile
35 rue Deux Ponts

Maybe the Brasserie de l'Ile St Louis is an option for breakfast at the cafe..
55 quai Bourbon
Otherwise, just do a 'reconnoiter' when you get there...
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll be in apartment. IMO one of the joys of renting is to have coffee/croissants/pastries in the AM w/o having to get dressed/go out early
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Well, in order to GET those fresh croissants you have to go out and get them! LOL

Royal, if I recall you'll be almost opposite Notre Dame, right? There are 4 cafes right at the bridge. There's another just along Jean de Bellay at the Pont Marie. I'm not sure just how early they open though. I'm an early riser so I need a coffee fix no later than 7 am. We were on the Ile this summer and the Brasserie de L'Ile St Louis, for example, was only just setting out chairs at 11:00 AM. The others were open by then though.

Monsieur Royal will need to walk down Rue St Louis en L'Ile anyway chasing down some croissants. On the left just after rue Boutarel is a boulangerie/patissier.

To get the coffee to go will require a stroll down to rue des Deux Ponts and the cafe/bar Louis IX at the corner. That's where I got my morning coffees but always standing at the bar.
They also sell Berthillon ice cream so in a pinch they have paper ice cream cups in which to give you coffees to go. ;^)

It may seem like a bit of a walk but it's worth doing while on Ile St Louis... better than staying in and making it in one's apartment!

Have a great time!

Rob
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rob for your most detailed reply. I had remembered in another post that you always went out in the morning to get coffee. But I missed the part that you drank it at the bar. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and make my own as janisj, travelnut and christina recommend.

It's not that I didn't want to make my own it's just they make it so much better and you are right it is one of the reasons we rented an apt.

I think I was hoping that Mr Royal would pick it up when he went out for his fresh croissants.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We have been staying on the Ile for several years now. As a matter of fact, we leave for Paris again tomorrow.

MDH always makes the bakery run in the morning for baguettes and croissants while I make a pot of coffee. That is the most cooking I ever do in the apartment. They have quite good coffee in the 2 small grocery stores on The Ile and it only takes a few minutes to brew.

We have got coffee at Le Flore en Ile, by the bridge, but I believe it was a little later in the morning. We also went to the coffee bar, Louis IX on the corner, but both of us prefer to relax in our beautiful apt. and take our time.

If you see a redhead with a big smile walking down Rue St. Louis en Ile, it will be me----happy to be back in Paris.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TPAYT. I would prefer to relax in the morning which is why we did get the apt. I have been dreaming of sitting on our balcony overlooking the Seine and enjoying our morning coffee.

Will keep an eye out for you on the Ile. We arrive on Thursday and will be there for 8 days.

Wish you a good trip too.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM

I meant to add that, after you have the necessary first morning cup, you could stop in a cafe after you leave the apartment for a 2nd cup of "Paris" coffee...
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnut - a great idea.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM

What is a good name brand of coffee to get at grocery store in Paris? is it all pre-ground or are there beans you can grind yourself as in the USA?

I cant wait to brew coffee in the morning in our apt.in the 5th... sept 25-29 is coming soon.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM

I never brewed coffee at our apartment since all I found was a french press and I've never had success with those. We did live close to a Starbucks (stayed rue de Braque and walked to the Starbucks on rue des Archives). I will definitely look into brewing it at the apartment next time I go.

Royal, your apartment will balcony on Ile Saint-Louis sounds marvelous! Have a great trip!! You too, jetsetj!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Royal,
Where on Ile Saint-Louis is your apartment. We have an apartment rented for June, 2010 on Ile Saint-Louis. I can hardly wait and look forward to your report about your stay there.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM

If all you have is a french press you can still concoct an ersatz cappuccino. Make the coffee in the press as usual - perhaps a bit stronger- and pour into large cups/mugs that have been heated by rinsing in hot water. Rinse out the press and pour in some milk, nuke it briefly, then plunge the screen a few times to foam. Pour over the coffee in the mugs and sip away.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM

There's a coffee shop on Rue St Andre des Arts (right side of street as you go toward Blvd St Germain). They serve coffee and sell packages - not sure if they have beans or only ground coffee.

http://www.a-night-in-paris.com/coff...e-malongo.html
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Scrapwithval -our apt is on Quai d'Orleans with a great view of Notre Dame. We have stayed at the Hotel Lutece on the Ile and this prompted us to try an apt this time as we love the location.

Thanks Seamus for the tip on making cappuccino - my favorite.

Also thanks Ruby for the good wishes and best wishes to you too jetsetj for your trip on the 25th.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 06:37 AM

seamus,
if there is a french press i will try your milk method.
thanks.....