Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   PLACE NAMES (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/place-names-122461/)

Gerry K May 7th, 2001 06:44 AM

PLACE NAMES

Although they don't follow me around <BR>all day like some songs do, there are <BR>those place names that reverberate a <BR>while. Among my favorites are Guatemala's <BR>Chichicastenango and the England's <BR>Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Got any of your own? <BR>(And yes, I know all about those risque <BR>names adorning the towns and cities of <BR>Pennsylvania.) <BR> <BR>Happy travels, <BR> <BR>Gerry K <BR>

JOdy May 7th, 2001 07:04 AM

One of my favorites for no particular reason , other than I love the sound and also the area, <BR>Sturminster Newton, Dorset

Kavey May 7th, 2001 07:45 AM

Since I was a kid and had the giggles over the guides excited pronunciation of it with my sister, Itaipu Dam, stranding the countries of Brazil and Paraguay in South America. (He kind of sang it). <BR> <BR>More will no doubt come as I think on it... <BR> <BR>

wes fowler May 7th, 2001 08:00 AM

Gerry, <BR>Furfooz which sounds like it ought to be in the Middle East, Turkey perhaps, is actually a small town in Belgium,east of Dinant. Belgian town names are intriguing simply because of the two official languages of the country: Antwerp/Anvers, Bruges/Brugge, Bastogne/Bastenaken, Brussels/Bruxelles/Brussel, Gent/Gand, Kortrijk/Courtrai, Liege/Liuk and Louvain/Leuven. Confused?

elvira May 7th, 2001 08:11 AM

I love to say Oaxahaca and Baja. <BR> <BR>I like the way the British pronounce Salisbury and St. Paul. <BR> <BR>In New England: Chicopee and Nahant. <BR> <BR>And the word for citizens of Monaco: Monegasque. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Judy May 7th, 2001 09:14 AM

Some of my very favorites are British: Chipping Camden, Derbyshire, Leicester, Shrewsbury,,,,I can't even remember all the lovely sounding names! <BR>I also love Hawaii names such as Lahaina, Poipu, Halakela,,, they sound very interesting and exotic to me... <BR> <BR>And Gerry do you mean the town of Intercourse,Pa? &lt;g&gt;? Judy ;-)

jim May 7th, 2001 09:27 AM

Myabe this'll start a new thread about mispronouced names: My friend's grandmother went to visit him in Germany, and he took her to the picturesque town of Dinkelsbuhl. Later, when asked about her favorite part of the trip, she said, "Oh, I really enjoyed Bull's Dinkle."

Earnest May 7th, 2001 09:45 AM

The one I enjoy is the one I <BR>REFUSE to pronounce correctly: <BR>Phuket. <BR> <BR>Earnest

Gerry K May 7th, 2001 09:59 AM

Forgot some Irish favorites: <BR>Ballybunion, Courtmacsherry, Tipperary, <BR>and the Kingdom of Kerry (can't resist <BR>the latter; it's my son's name in <BR>reverse). <BR> <BR>Happy Travels, <BR> <BR>(mr) Gerry Kingdom <BR> <BR>PS: Eight days, and I'm off to Holland <BR> (from NY), but who's counting?

Rich May 7th, 2001 10:01 AM

<BR> <BR>I have to nominate the Firth of Fifth in Scotland . . giggle everytime I see it. <BR> <BR>Rich

Lesley May 7th, 2001 10:07 AM

I am from Newfoundland, a province in Canada and we are proud of our contribution to the world of interesting place names: theres Come By Chance and Big and Little Tickle and Bay Despair and Quidi Vidi (pronounced Kiddie Viddie) and Conception Harbour and, of course, you would never forget a visit to Dildo...

pam May 7th, 2001 10:36 AM

Rich, <BR>I thought that was the Firth of Forth. <BR>Pam

K May 7th, 2001 10:54 AM

Horned Dorset Primavera. <BR> <BR>(A resort in the Caribbean.)

Jon May 7th, 2001 11:03 AM

Ljubljana, Slovenia. <BR>In Munich: the German's make Herkimerplatz sound poetic. <BR>j.

Ann May 7th, 2001 11:11 AM

Winterbourne Dauntsey and Nether Wallop

Linda May 7th, 2001 11:11 AM

And how about that HUGE "town" in Germany called Ausfart? :-o <BR> <BR>Joke, joke!

Florence May 7th, 2001 11:20 AM

There's a big elusive city named Ausfahrt in Switerland too. It's somewhere in between Tolochenaz and Niederbipp.

Art May 7th, 2001 11:20 AM

There must be thousands of towns named Ausfart in Germany..ever hihgway exit ramp names it...

cindy May 7th, 2001 11:22 AM

Recently in Hawaii, having already been to Akaka Falls, we absolutely had to go and see Peepee Falls too. (Of course the Hawaiians spell it with a few apostrophes, which changes the pronunciation, but we like it better the other way!) I took a picture of the street sign because I knew nobody would believe me.

Bob Brown May 7th, 2001 11:28 AM

I got a charge out of some village names in the Ötztal of Austria. <BR>The names are: Hochgurgl, Obergurgl, and Untergurgl. When the snow melts in the spring, they have Gurglgurgl. <BR> <BR>