Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Place de la République in Paris - reborn! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/place-de-la-rpublique-in-paris-reborn-982918/)

kerouac Jun 25th, 2013 04:04 AM

Place de la République in Paris - reborn!

Place de la République had been 'closed' for renovation for almost two years, and it finally reopened two weeks ago. As you can probably imagine, the city of Paris has done a splendid job in giving much more space to pedestrians and providing a variety of new activities. Foreign visitors will probably be attracted to the area much more than in the past and with a little luck we locals might not have to answer all of the usual questions along the lines of "Is it safe to go there?"

Here is my little report about it: http://tinyurl.com/ncqyb5z

TPAYT Jun 25th, 2013 06:01 AM

kerouac---the eye on Paris!
Another interesting look at this beautiful city, day or night. Your photos make it look so inviting.

Huge area---any suggestions for dinner so we could watch the dancers later?

YankyGal Jun 25th, 2013 08:55 AM

How nice to see the final product completed! Seemed like longer than two years, but maybe I'm confusing it with other major construction.

Wonderful perspective from your photos on the quiet day.

Thanks for another great report.

tuscanlifeedit Jun 25th, 2013 09:07 AM

The link won't work for me. Any tips?

kerouac Jun 25th, 2013 09:25 AM

Well, here is the "non tiny" url:
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...&page=1#169536

kerouac Jun 25th, 2013 09:26 AM

Well, here is the "non tiny" url:
http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...&page=1#169536

Margaretlb Jun 25th, 2013 09:44 AM

Thanks for the great pics - also enjoyed the "new" Left Bank pics.

MaineGG Jun 25th, 2013 02:39 PM

I was so hoping you would do this report. We stayed near there from late April until early May and the Place was a complete mess. Now I can't wait to get back to see it finished. Your pictures show clearly something I love about that area - the colorful diversity of its population. We never felt unsafe there.

FrenchMystiqueTours Jun 25th, 2013 05:09 PM

I didn't look at the report yet kerouac so please forgive me. I promise I will because I know it will be as well done as all your other reports. However, I've ridden my bike through there several times in the last few days and I must say I think it is a horrendous disaster and I'd like to take the person/people in charge of designing that place out to the wood shed and give them "what for". It is a wide open space of polished granite tiles (or whatever the stone surface is made of) that except for the few trees is completely devoid of greenery or flowers/plantings of any kind and now has a single purpose use as a haven for skateboarders. I saw the water feature the other day but apparently that doesn't run often so the only other point of interest is the monumental statue in the middle which was always there anyway. Of course, they put some chairs and benches there so you can enjoy staring at the traffic. I don't mind walking my bike across the cross walk to get into the plaza (because the sole bike lane on the street is one direction only) but there are no bike lanes once you're in the plaza to get you to your connecting streets so you have to weave between pedestrians while both pedestrians and bikers have to dodge the annoying skateboarders who whizz in every direction and have no concern for who they cut off. Riding towards and away from the plaza today I saw skateboarders coming from all directions heading there. To me, the whole place is a blank canvas without any paint. It would be quite easy to add some gardens and more greenery and get rid of a lot of that wide open space but perhaps the intention was to make it a place where protesters and large crowds could gather. And skateboarders too. I can't imagine what else they were thinking. Please accept my apologies for being such a party pooper. I'm very sorry.

Leely2 Jun 25th, 2013 05:22 PM

Nice! Thanks, kerouac.

kerouac Jun 25th, 2013 09:15 PM

FMT, yes, there are two ways to go with a square like that. I was sort of dismayed when they did the same thing to Place de l'Hôtel de Ville about 25 years ago. It had beautiful flower beds full of roses in front of it, but the mayor (Jacques Chirac at the time) wanted a place where Parisians could "assemble" for major events -- so the vegetation was removed. Over the years, I have come to understand the decision, and the space is usually well used by temporary events.

Place de la République has always been the starting point for massive marches and demonstrations, so it is even easier to understand why they cleared away the vegetation, of which there was not all that much anyway and which had become a haven for the homeless. As time goes by, it will be interesting to see what events are desighed to occupy the space.

I think that the skateboarders will just be a temporary phenomenon, as they were at the Trocadéro.

swandav2000 Jun 25th, 2013 09:28 PM

Terrific, Kerouac! As usual, your reports show such great details and depth; they are magnificent!

s

RJD Jun 26th, 2013 11:17 AM

I agree with FMT. The place looks sterile and uninteresting. Designed by a bureaucrat without a sense of history or place.
Compare these photos to those of the Marais.

But I must not forget to thank kerouac for a fine job again.

d_claude_bear Jun 28th, 2013 01:12 AM

We were there just before and just after the final chantier barriers were removed, and we recalled what it had looked like three years ago. It is now a marvelous public space. Our second visit there this year, preceding a walk along the St. Martin Canal, coincided with the final hour of a manifestation of some sort.

kappa1 Jun 28th, 2013 01:32 AM

Form the photos by Kerouac I see, I agree with FMT and RJD. Just mostly vast flat concrete/granite ground. Must be very hot to be there in mid-summer? It does seem useful for big gatherings, demonstrations... that I would rather avoid. I might find the place differently when I see in in real in 2 weeks.

kerouac Jun 28th, 2013 09:19 AM

I really hope you get to see it "hot in mid-summer" -- the temperature got all they way up to 17° today!

uruabam Jun 28th, 2013 03:04 PM

Looks like they've made a great job of it Kerouac. many thanks for the pictures. Hopefully wont be too long before I see it again for myself.

denisea Jun 30th, 2013 06:58 AM

Interesting as always. I have to say that I haven't heard anyone mention mercurochrome since I was a kid (or sine God was a boy). I can see the need for it as that looks like a great place to fall and skin your knees and elbows....do they still make it?