dining on overnight train / Lisbon to SanSebastian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have taken overnight trains before and in the past we have taken our own snacks on board. This May we will travel overnight from Lisbon to San Sebastian and I am thinking about going to the dining car. Am looking for some feedback as to what to expect / hope for as far as menu and prices. I don't expect it to be the culinary highlight of our trip but don't want to pay too high of price for total yuk. I am hoping for a light meal, relaxing and watching the scenery pass by, maybe even the sunset.

We will be in a four person couchette - about what time do they usually transform the cabin from seating to sleeping? Our train leaves Lisbon at 4:30 - maybe we will just stay in our cabin and snack, just trying to get some info to make a plan. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

really, no one has any comments on a dining car experience?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 03:57 AM

The train has a proper restaurant car, expect 5-7 euros for starters, 12-19 euros for mains, that sort of price. 12 euros for a half bottle of wine or thereabouts.

I think the food is pretty good, and I love the elegant dining experience with real tablecloths, metal cutlery and proper crockery as the train speeds into the night. No airline plastic forks and plastic food here!

For something lighter, grab a bar stool at the bar in the cafe car.

You can see photo examples of the food (it's the same caterers) on the Paris-Madrid trainhotel at www.seat61.com/Spain.htm
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 04:00 AM

You are not in a couchette - this articulated trainhotel has no couchettes, only proper sleepers i.e. proper beds and washbasin, not just padded ledges with rug as in 'couchettes'.

You're in a 4-bed sleeper, very very compact but comfortable.

If you have the whole compartment, you can ask for the beds to be made up any time you like.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

thank you MAN-IN-SEAT 61 - I am really surprised that no other posters had dining car experiences to share. Usually this bunch had been there, done that for almost any posted question!
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 01:31 PM

I believe many of us have had dining car experiences but probably not on that specific train. So, our experiences are I'm sure varied but not relevant. Give it a try, if you don't like the menu, you don't have to stay.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Here is the link to the Sud Expresso you'll be traveling on: http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...007b01a8c0RCRD

As noted, the compartment you've booked is called the Tourist Bed Compartment.

"Compartment for four people of the same sex, with wash-hand basin and hygiene articles. It can also be used by people of different sexes so long as the four tickets for the compartment are all bought together."