Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   pizza in naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pizza-in-naples-617945/)

WG May 23rd, 2006 04:25 PM

pizza in naples

we read a review of a pizzeria serving the best pizza in the world in naples ! any recommendations of which pizzeria that might be?? thanks

LarryJ May 23rd, 2006 04:40 PM

All pizza is good in Naples. That's where it was invented.

Larry J

DeborahAnn May 23rd, 2006 04:52 PM

I think Pizzeria Trianon is reputed to be one of the best. We certainly enjoyed the pizza and ambiance. It is located at Via Peitro Colletta in Naples. The menu I have lists over 25 different pizzas. Delicious. Deborah

Pausanias May 23rd, 2006 05:17 PM

Best I had was on a street corner somewhere between the archaeological museum and the train station. Concrete floor, cases of beer and softdrinks, ovens behind a counter. We ate in the shade outside at linoleum tables seated on plastic chairs, and I drank a liter of beer. One of the all-time great lunches. I remember pitying three Japanese tourists who turned their noses up at the setting and descended into some tourist trap across the street . . .

ekscrunchy May 23rd, 2006 05:18 PM

Could be Da Michele.... always gets mentioned as among Italy's best.

Waldo May 23rd, 2006 06:21 PM

The reference to the best pizza in the world might have been mine. The place, in Naples, is called TUTINO's. It's pretty close to both Trianon and Michele's. It's a neighborhood place, and the locals call it " 'n coppa e mura", which means "on the walls". In the old days, there was a wall around this area of Naples (the wall is still visible). This place is located right where the wall was, and partially is still visible. To get there is pretty easy if you happen to be in Piazza Garibaldi. You go to the statue of Giuseppe Garibaldi, at the end of the piazza. You are now standing on Corso Garibaldi. Look towards the sea, and walk a short distance down that way. When you reach the large arch, which is Porta Nolana, on your right side, walk towards the arch for a very short block. Make a left and walk about five hundred feet, and see a sign "TUTINO" on the second story. Go in and enjoy the best pizza and a fantastic atmosphere! The owner is a lover of Toto, the famous Italian comedian, and he has devoted the walls to him. The owner also is VERY partial to Americans, and he will show that also by giving little gifts and extra stuff to American customers. I have received three Zippo cigarette lighters from him over the years. I've been going there since 1987, and when he sees me, he yells "L'americano sta ca!", which means in Neopolitan "The American is here!" You absolutely cannot beat this place. It's better than Trianon and Michele's.

Waldo May 23rd, 2006 06:26 PM

I forgot to mention why the owner of TUTINO's is partial to Americans. During WWII, his family was killed and he was taken in by four American GIs. Thewy were from Alabama, Ohio, and Nebraska. He has visited all of them in the states, and he says Americans were sent by God to save him and Italy. Who can argue with that?

GattoBaci May 23rd, 2006 06:57 PM

The only pizza we ever had in Naples was at Da Michele but I can say we've never had anything better anyplace else.

ira May 24th, 2006 06:09 AM

Hi WG,

There are many good pizza places in Naples.

Pizza Bellini on Piazza Bellini is one.

((I))