Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pisa - walk or subway from San Rossore Station?

Jan 24th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Looking at the official website for Pisa attractions they indicate you should take the subway from San Rossore Station. I was under the impression you could walk to the main area. Which is the best way? Thanks.
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
J62

You can walk. There is no underground rail system (subway) in Pisa. There may be a subterranean passageway along the route, perhaps crossing a street or tracks - I don't recall. Just guessing but that may be where the term subway comes from.
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:14 AM

I am not sure if you are saying from the train station to the tower, but we took a bus, we bought our ticket inside the train station. ( I read about the bus in Rick Steves).
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

This is what the official site has to say: I guess what they are calling the subway is not your typical subway.

2) From Station Pisa San Rossore
On foot:
Take the subway and get out through Piazza Fancelli. Walk straight on to Via Andrea Pisano. Turn left and go on straight ahead on until you reach Piazza dei Miracoli and the Leaning Tower. Time: approximately 5 minutes
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM

If it is a nice day, by all means walk. The main street takes you straight thru town, past shops and cafes, market etc. Just follow the map it is easy to find your way around, you experience so much more on land.
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I think some posters are talking about how to get to the Tower from the other Pisa train station (Centrale)
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM

"Subway" in this case is used for the Italian "sottopassaggio" which is an underpass, probably to cross under a busy street.
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Yes, San Rossore is the smaller train station very near the Piazza dei Miracoli. As others have said, the "subway" would be an underground tunnel, probably going under the rail tracks. Altogether, it should be about a half mile on foot.
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM

In Europe the term "subway" does not refer to an underground train system. Generally what is refers to is an underground passage for pedestrians so they can avoid crossing a main road or RR tracks etc.