Pisa/Lucca. recommended B&B, restaurants

Old Jun 26th, 1999, 04:04 PM
Marion Easton

Pisa/Lucca. recommended B&B, restaurants

Travelling to Pisa and am looking for a small hotel/guesthouse to stay on arrival.
Any recommendations for places to eat in area of Pisa and Lucca.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 06:00 AM
Lynne

Dear marion
Yes do go to Lucca - it is wonderful. We had thoughts of packign up and living there forever. However, we had to come home. We stayed at Albergo Anna I think and it was about L90,000 in January 1998 - winter and so probably a bit cheaper. We walked to the Tourist Bureau which is quite a way from the station and then walked back to the hotel. The hotel was ironically back near the station so we had a very long walk. It is located within the city walls. We also had lunch at a wonderful restaurant but sorry - can't remember what it was called.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 12:35 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Marion, You will have more fun staying
in Lucca than Pisa---it is very close.
Try the Hotel Piccolo Puccini for a good
small hotel--in the middle og things.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 09:57 AM
stephanie

Dear Marion,
Spent a week last month in Lucca and LOVED it-such a special place. My friend and I rented a small apartment there right in the middle of the historic center. As to places to eat---the Trattoria de Leo always looked busy and we'd heard the food was excellent. The Buca de Santantonio off the Piazza de San Michele is well known (it's been in operation apparently since the 1700's)and we had a very nice lunch there. We spent an interesting day in Pisa but based ourselves in Lucca and can't wait to return! Hope this helps.
stephanie

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 03:04 PM
kam

Wouldn't recommend any time in Pisa--not even the tower. Lucca is lovely. Someone mentionned the Buca di Sant' Antonio--I'd second that. There are many more, however. Try Puccini, Antico Cafe delle Mura (at the wall) and Da Guilio, a typical trattoria. Vipore is well known and a bit outside of the city. Do visit some of the villas nearby: Reale, Mansi, Torrigiani etc. Sorry, can't help with small guesthouse.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 06:29 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:09 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 08:10 AM
Barbara

Marion,

Add my vote for Lucca. I think it is the loveliest and most entertaining town in Tuscany and not heavily visited by tourists yet. Before our trip, we met a restaurant owner in Sonoma, CA who was originally from Lucca. He gave us his card and wrote the names of three restaurants on the back -- Buca di Sant'Antonio, da Giulio and IL Giglio. All were wonderful, but my favorite was IL Giglio, next door to the Universo Hotel. Went back a second time for the Gran Farro soup, one of the finest soups in Italy, a regional specialty. Indoor and outdoor tables here. While in Lucca, be sure to rent a bicycle and ride on the old wall that surrounds the city. It is now a lovely park-like road for pedestrians and bicycles only, and provides a great view of the town. Buon Viaggio.