Reload this Page >

Pisa hotel advice for a penny pincher?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Penny

I will be spending one night in Pisa before an early morning flight. I'd like to spend the least amount possible for an acceptable hotel, and they seem to be in the range of $45 to $70 for a single. I'm wondering if one part of town is a cheaper cab ride to the airport than another. For example, if I save $10 by staying closer to the train station but it's further to the airport than the leaning tower area, it defeats the purpose.<BR>No nasty comments please, only those sympathetic to my poor state of financial affairs need reply!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Sonia

Hi Penny<BR><BR>I went to Pisa last month and stayed in the Hotel Francesco. I think it was very reasonably prices and a very plesant hotel. It's 2 minutes walk from the tower and about an 8 minute walk from the bus stop where you can get a direct bus to the airport.<BR><BR>www.hotelfrancesco.com<BR><BR>Need anyother information, let me know!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Penny

Thanks Sonia, I'll check out your hotel recommendation.<BR>I wouldn't imagine that the buses run early enough for me, but I'm sure I can find that info somewhere on the web...<BR>Thanks again.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Patti

Hello,<BR><BR>Last March stayed at the Hotel Rinascente, a one star place near the Piazza dei Cavalieri,on Via del Castelletto, 28, phone/fax number + 39 050.580.460. We paid 80,000 lira (at the time about $40 US) for a huge room with a shared bathroom. She also has rooms with baths, which at the time were 100,000 lira (around $50 US.) The place was very clean and funky--many of the rooms had frescoed ceilings, ours had an interesting mix of antiques and modern furnishings. Below the hotel was a restaurant where I had one of the best meals I had in Italy, (unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.) It was about a 10 minute walk to the Campo dei Miracoli and as I recall about a 10 or 15 minute cab ride from the airport. One tricky thing was that the landlady, Pina, spoke absolutely no English. I wrote out my inquiry in my poor Italian and faxed it to her. She answered back promptly and our reservation was perfect when we got there. She does also speak French, so if you don't speak Italian, that might be the way to go. <BR>Here's a link to see pix: http://www.pisaonline.it/HotelRinascente<BR>Good luck!<BR>Patti

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Penny

Thanks Patti!<BR>Sounds like I have two good recommendations now.<BR>And if the name of the restaurant suddenly comes to you, post back on the board, okay? : )

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Rita

Hi Penny,<BR><BR>I too stayed at Hotel Franscesco when I had an early morning flight out of Pisa. The hotel was very nice. I paid at night before I went to my room because I had a 6 am flight. I advised them of the time I needed a taxi to get me to the airport. Now a problem did occur which was noones fault at the hotel. When I got down there to the lobby the front desk called for a taxi but got no response. The guy at the front desk's reaction was oh well cant get you a taxi. I insisted that he continue to call, all attempts with no response. As time passed I asked is there any other way to get me to the airport. I was told no, there was nothing to do. I offered to pay, no nothing.<BR><BR>To make a long story short, I did make it to the airport. A taxi appeared even though there was a problem with the lines.<BR><BR>I would, perhaps depending on how early your flight is, book a car or taxi directly with a company so that you have an idea that the airport transport will acutally be there to take you. Also, at that time of the morning the drive to the airport was about 5 minutes.<BR><BR>cheers<BR>Rita

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Paul

Try Osteria dei Cavalieri via san frediano 16 Pisa. Super!!!<BR>