Pileta Caves- Opinions?

Old Jul 5th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pileta Caves- Opinions?

My husband and I will be traveling to Spain this October. We really enjoyed the Lascaux II and Pech Merle caves when we were in France and wonder how the Pileta Caves near Ronda might compare. As always, it is a matter of so much to see and not enough time to do it all. We plan a couple of nights in Ronda. I'd love Fodorites' opinions. Has anyone visited these caves as well as a few in France?
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 02:37 PM

We really enjoyed our visit to the Pileta Caves and, like you are planning, we were in Ronda for a couple of nights. We also visited Lascaux and Font de Gaume so know the sense of what you're looking to compare it to. The drawings in the Pileta Caves are not nearly as dramatic as those at the French caves, but we still found the experience very special. The drive through the region was gorgeous and it isn't a place that draws huge crowds. There are many steps up to the entry so be prepared for a long hike. So I wouldn't go looking for a big Wow! But if you find the idea of prehistoric caves interesting, it's definitely worth a visit.
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent advice!
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Sorry. For some reason we did not visit the caves by Ronda. I have been fortunate enough to see the original cave at Altamira, Lascaux II, Font de Gaume, and Rouffignac.

If you have a serious interest in cave drawings, here is a scholarly tome on the matter-The Nature of Paleolithic Art by R. Dale Guthrie
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

How exiting you were able to see the Altamira cave!
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 07:57 PM

It was many years ago and started my interest in cave drawings. I am one of the reasons, it has been closed to the general public. I wrote a letter about 15 years ago asking for another visit but was refused as I am not a scholar in the matter.

I was struck with the idea that people wanted to communicate 15,000 years ago and here I was looking at their lessons. I was also taken by their nearly true sense of proportion.

I am not a fine artist but many in the family, so I am also keenly interested in their techniques, extremely impressive when you consider their limited resources and outside knowledge.

Werner Herzog did a film about Chauvet which is very good, even though the last five minutes are bizarre, Werner Herzog bizarre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_Forgotten_Dreams
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 03:34 AM

We visited 19 years ago based on a one sentence mention in a guidebook and we had enough time to drive between Ronda and Granada. We walked up (and up!) to the gate without much hopes of getting in, much to our surpise a guide did appear at the time the guidebook said.

For me it was one of the most memorable travel moments. A very intimate experience and totally unexpected.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

I think we'd really enjoy this experience. Thanks for your feedback!