Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pierogies!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pierogies-838835/)

kellymp May 5th, 2010 09:21 AM

Pierogies!!

Looking for suggestions for restaurants with really good pierogies in Munich, Prague, Vienna or Bratislava My mom is Slovak and her favorites are sweet cabbage, prune and sauerkraut...I find the sweet cabbage ones a little hard to find so any sightings in the above cities will be greatly appreciated. We will be traveling there this fall Thanks!!

crefloors May 5th, 2010 10:06 AM

Kelly, you only need to post once, all countries end up on the europe board. If your post sinks with no replys, just click on your name and it will come up and you can respond to your own post ....TTT (to the top) and you can put it up to the head of the line.

crefloors May 5th, 2010 10:08 AM

Sorry, I see you're not new to the board. I just assumed because you had two posts within a couple of minutes of each other, on the same subject. Didn't mean to "insult" you, LOL, I'm sure you know how it works.

I can't help but someone will answer you soon, I'm sure.

Otzi May 5th, 2010 10:38 AM

Want good pierogies? Visit Scranton, PA. Can't say I've ever seen them in Europe, but then again, I haven't made it to Poland yet.

Echnaton May 5th, 2010 11:03 AM

München:
http://www.cohens.de/

avalon May 5th, 2010 11:18 AM

Otzi, I was going to tell her to go to Pittsburgh!

kellymp May 5th, 2010 11:23 AM

Hi guys - I actually just ordered some from PA for mothers day for my mom as she has really been talking about them lately :) Got them from Pierogie Palace in Oil City PA - they arrived last night :)

Crefloors- No worries - no offense taken - I don't post here a ton and when I did it the first time I thought I had tagged all the countries but it didn't work so then I wasn't sure whether I needed to repost here or not...thanks for the tip :)

Echnaton - thanks for the suggestion - I will make a note of that one!

I also just saw a great post in the Slovakia forum on Slovak food - excellent timing :) Thanks all!

nytraveler May 5th, 2010 04:38 PM

I must admit I've noted them as a major menu item in Poland. My family is part Czech and they never made them.

unclegus May 5th, 2010 10:58 PM

I can't say I have ever seen them on a Czech menu on my many visits to that country.I am back in Prague on the 14th of this month so will have a look and see if I see any.
Certainly the saurkraut and the red cabbage you get in most Czech Hospodas is very very good and in my opinion far better than versions I have had in other nearby european countries.

kellymp May 7th, 2010 06:10 AM

Thanks Unclegus! If you see any let me know :) I know in my mom's family they tended to only make them for special events...I just thought that was b/c they are a bit work intensive but I do remember they are a common Easter food. Now I am wondering if they are only made around Easter and Christmas? Anyway - thanks for looking out...

alan43 May 7th, 2010 06:36 AM

Hi sorry I can't recall them on menus other than Poland. we had some very good ones in a restaurant called "Pierogi" in the old center of Warsaw. They may be called by other names in the other countries. My wifes coworker used to bring us back some very good ones from detroit.

BigRuss May 7th, 2010 08:13 AM

Czechs eat dumplings -- 14,000 different varieties made with bread and spices and usually the leavings of whatever newly butchered fauna or fowl has been otherwise used in the soup of the day. Never saw a pierogi in Prague.

Seamus May 7th, 2010 09:56 AM

otzi - haina or no?

Otzi May 7th, 2010 10:21 AM

More like "Yo, hey now" up here in Far West NYC (Poconos). But we do head up to Scranton for our pierogies and kielbasa.

Seamus May 7th, 2010 06:35 PM

ohmygahhhd, otzi -if yez are gonna go to Scran-un fer pierogis, ya gotta go to Old Forge fer pizza, too.