Pienza to Pitigliano to Tuscania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending a week in the Chianti area we will start our return to Rome by spending two nights in Pienza, with short visits to Montalcino and Montpulciano. We'll be departing from Pienza on a Monday morning and have reserved rooms in Tuscania for that night. I'd like to stop at Pitigliano on the way but for the life of me I can't figure out which roads we should follow. I'm open to any suggestions on the "most reasonable" scenic approach to this trip. In the past we visited Sovana, drove past Pitigliano (this is why I want to actually go into the village this time) and a few other villages from an east west direction. The north/south approach has me baffled. Suggestions from anyone who's traveled from Pienza to Tuscania would be greatly appreciated...even if what NOT to do!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone taken this path? Perhaps I should forget Pitigliano? Any suggestions for picturesque villages for a day trip between Pienza and Tuscania?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:22 AM

I have two ideas, First, run the viamichelin.com program for best routing if you see Pitigliano. I would prefer to stop at Civita di Bagnoregio, and I have done both. It is just south of Orvieto and will be more direct for you.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of Civita di Bagnoregio. I have been there before but considering that others in our party have not, it's probably a better choice than Pitigliano. Are there any eating places left in the old city? Perhaps carrying a picnic would be a good idea, since many things are closed on Mondays?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:20 AM

A short distance from Montepulciano is Montefolonico, the sweetest little hilltown in the area. You can get an aperitiff or coffee at the top with a wonderful view of Montepulciano in the distance.