Pienza to Lake Como

Jan 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Pienza to Lake Como

Hi,
We will be staying in Pienza the middle of May, using it as our home base while in Tuscany. From Pienza we will be traveling by rental car to Lake Como for a few days before flying out of Milan for home. Since Bologna seems to be on the way to Pienza I am wondering if it would be a good idea to book a night stay there and travel on to Lake Como. I have not been able to find good travel times from Pienza to Lake Como and would like to have a more relaxing drive. Any advise/recommendations for places to stay will be greatly appreciated.
Jan 17th, 2013, 08:33 AM

If you are just looking to break up the drive, try dinner in the albergo ristorante Da Amerigo in the town of Savigno outside of Bologna. The restaurant has an outstanding reputation, especially for pasta, but just an outstanding reputation in general.

If you prefer a town with sightseeing you have equally good eating options in Modena, which is probably a slightly easier town to find a hotel with parking and which has a UNESCO heritage centro storico.

If you really want to see Bologna, a city I enjoy a great deal, then the Aemilia hotel in Bologna has easy parking well away from any danger of ZTLs. Bologna hosts a lot of trade fairs when hotels book up fast and prices shoot up very high, so be sure to book early.
Jan 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Just in case in wasn't clear, Da Amerigo aslo in an inn, or locanda, with rooms where you can sleep comfortably.

http://www.amerigo1934.it/content/show/section/locanda

You can leave Pienza after lunch and be there by dinner. A 2.5 hour drive.
Jan 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM

It is a very easy drive from Pienza to Como.

We drove from Lugano to Pienza, it took just over 4 and a half hours, most of it is on the very straight and wide A1.

A stop in Bologna isn't necessary unless you would like to stay. Considering Bologna's reputation for food, a stay for more than one night may be a good idea.
Jan 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Try to get over to the A1 as soon as possible at say Torrita. The first time we did the journey through Siena to Florence, the added an hour onto the journey.
Jan 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM

I agree, get to A-1 near Sinalunga ASAP.
Where on Lago Como? Your choice of routes there should be considered.
Jan 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the valuable information. It is exactly what I've been looking for.
Goldenautumn, the restaurant looks very inviting and the idea of stopping in Modena is perfect and I'll be able to bypass the traffic in Bologna.
Dickie, The driving time and best route was exactly what I needed. I will make sure to get on A1 ASAP. The map I checked looks like I would take SS327 out of Pienza and connect with A1 between Bettolle and Bisciano. If my directions are wrong (I use GPS, terrible with maps) please correct me.
Bob, haven't booked a place yet at Lago Como. Thinking about staying in Tremezzo. Any recommendations on nice hotel there or should I be consider another place?
Jan 18th, 2013, 06:08 AM

With a car I do suggest staying on the west shore. Tremezzo is fine---the G.H. Tremezzo is a fabulous 5 star but expensive. Also look at Albergo Lenno in Lenno, and the G.H. Menaggio.