Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano Lodging - Il Chiostro??

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:29 PM
debbie

We are looking for alternatives to Il Chiostro in Pienza. Anywhere in the area of Montalcino, Montepulciano or Pienza or other towns that would allow us to be in town or walk to town.

My husband is set on Pienza and Il Chiostro and Pienza - I am not so sure. It is the priciest ($175/nt US) of the 3 places we plan to stay.

The only other place I find that looks very nice and is reasonable is Montorio in (or walking distance to) Montepulciano. I love Locanda Amorosa, but too expensive, and too remote.

Any suggestions for a base to tour the Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano areas? We are staying at Antico Pozzo in San G. and either Villa Vignamaggio (if we can get in) or Borgo Argenina in Chianti for our other bases.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:22 PM
Wayne

I've made this suggestion to others who have the same objectives as you: pick a place that's easy to get into and out of---and that isn't many of the places in the small Tuscany hill towns. But you would probably like San Quirico d'Orcia, just off the main highway and one of the very charming Tuscany villages. With easy access to the road that will allow you to get to the other places (Montalcino, Pienza, and Montalcino are all only 20-30 minutes away by car) you should have more time to enjoy your day visits. If you want a suggestion for a hotel in San Quirico, re-post with that in the subject line.

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:52 PM
cmt

Here's what I said elsewhere about Il Chiostro di Pienza:

Author: Carol ([email protected])
Date: 05/17/2002, 10:06 am
Message: Even though this is an old thread, I'm re-posting a comment I made on a more recent thread, since this old thread does come up via a search.

Just for a dissenting opinion re Il Chiostro di Pienza. It is a very beautiful hotel. However, some of the rooms are horrible. I had a room there in 1997 that must have been a monk's closet. I could not even carry my suitcase in without tilting it sideways. There was absolutely no table or chair or desk--absolutely no place to lay things except on the television, which I therefore used as a table. I could not open my suitcase unless I put it on my bed. When I was using the bed, the suitcase remained standing alongside it, and I had to step over it to get to the bathroom. I was on a walking tour at the time, and this tour stayed in nice places and generally requested the best rooms available in each category. However, apparently many of the better rooms were taken up by a larger German tour group, which was leaving he next day. The guides were horrified when I showed them the room the next day and requested a room change for the second day. The hotel did have another room, and I was able to move, but the hotel management was rather ungracious. The new room was adequate, still much smaller than any other room I've had in hotels of supposedly much lower price, stars or quality, and the mattress was broken--completey sunken in on one side. I do not recommend making a reservation in advance at this hotel. if you can see your exact room and like it, then it might be a fine place to stay, but otherwise, I wouldn't trust this hotel to give you decent accommodations.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:34 AM
Robyn France

Greetings, just back from Montalcino and have I got a pick for you.We stayed at Palzzina Cesira in Montalcino, lovely rooms with Queen size beds, beautiful tiled and marble bathrooms, tv and lovely living and dining room to enjoy . It is right smack in town on the second floor of an old palace, beuatifully restored and with a gallery entry for her husband's photgraphs and artifacts of South America. Fine continental breakfast, Lucilla is the proprietor and she was so helpful (we brought the Michelin book of maps of Italy) so we were able to get out to some off the beaten track spots (see the cypress roads section of slowtrav.com). Recommend it highly!--frankly at $75 Euros a niight, it was was underpriced but we didn't bring it to her attention. Don't miss Il grappolo blu and Re da machhia--2 wonderful restaurants, Lucilla resesrved for us as we saw others turned away, one after the other.

Parking--u can drive up to the hotel to drop of bags, and then must part outside the city walls, a 5-7 minute walk.

Hope this helps,
Robyn France

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:29 AM
henly

If you have a car, I would stay in quaint village of Bagno Vignoni. From there you can spend time in all three places, within 20 minute drive. It is fairly inexpensive and you can have a divine dinner and wine ech night at a variety of rest's, including our favorite "la parata".

This is the place to stay, http://www.hotelpostamarcucci.it/Inglese/Index_e.htm, because the hotel pool is filled with water from the natural hot spring. You are only 10 minutes to Montalcino or Pienza, around 25 to Montepulciano.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:44 AM
CAgal

Checked out the Posta Marcucci site, and it looks really nice. What is the price range, Henly? Website didn't display it. Thanks!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:32 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I have mentioned Posta Marcucci here before--hard to beat for that region. It is hard to book and they often ask for multiple days minimum--it is s real spa hotel. We paid about $120 in April.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:07 AM
lisa

Hotel Vecchia Oliviera in Montalcino is a gem. Great location, lovely views, a pool in the back, free parking, good breakfast included in the price, short easy walk to all the restaurants & shops. It's a former olive oil mill which has been converted to an inn, very small, with about a dozen rooms. Our double last August was $150 and had hand-painted murals on the walls and a lovely bathroom. The hosts are helpful and speak English. Their website is: http://www.vecchiaoliviera.com/
and you can see more pictures at
http://www.tuscany.net/oliviera/

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:40 AM
lisa

topping for Debbie who is still looking for places to stay...