Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pictures from our New Year's Week in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pictures-from-our-new-years-week-in-tuscany-1082830/)

jamikins Jan 3rd, 2016 10:43 PM

Pictures from our New Year's Week in Tuscany

Good morning

We just spent another week in Val d'Orcia over the New Year's week. Stayed in Montepulciano and had some lovely, if a bit foggy, weather.

There are always questions about what Tuscany looks like in the winter so I thought I would post our pics.

The first 67 pictures are from this New Year's (2015/2016) and the rest are from our first trip at New Year's 2013/2014.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...57639164500734

Happy New Year's everyone!

Adelaidean Jan 3rd, 2016 11:47 PM

Always fabulous photos. I love it when you two do another trip, get to travel vicariously again.
You were part of my motivation for a Dolomiti trip this year. Hope my photos are as good as yours....

StCirq Jan 4th, 2016 02:39 AM

Love, love, love these! Where is that pool with the stone wall around it? I know I've been there.

The dawn and fog pictures remind me of where we live now - just spectacular, every day.

Dayle Jan 4th, 2016 03:23 AM

What a nice start to my day here in the Utah mountains! Grazie Mille Jamikins! Your food pictures even made me hungry during breakfast.

PS, I lost my old Black pug Yoda last summer. He had a very long and wonderful life. Now I have two new Rescue pugs, both fawn, and they are settling very well! Teddy and Ping. :-)

Happy new year!

wesleymarsh Jan 4th, 2016 03:36 AM

Did you stay at Sant Antonio once again? Is a trip report forthcoming?

jubilada Jan 4th, 2016 04:45 AM

Wonderful, thank you.

bilboburgler Jan 4th, 2016 04:47 AM

nice photos, takes me back, and they say Germans like eating pig ;-)

inspiredexplorer Jan 4th, 2016 04:59 AM

Stunning photos! Definitely makes the idea of winter/offseason in Tuscany very appealing!

Colleen Jan 4th, 2016 06:26 AM

Love Montepulciano. Once went in March and loved the empty streets, however that was 10 years ago so probably more year round tourists now. I don't think there is a bad time to go, summer with the crowds can be fun too. Amazing pictures. Thank You.

progol Jan 4th, 2016 10:42 AM

Gorgeous photos! Wonderful landscapes, stunning sunsets and some of the most luscious food pictures I've seen! You have shots of the sexiest slabs of meat ever (food pix, that is!).

Thanks for posting -
Paule

zoecat Jan 4th, 2016 10:49 AM

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. I am inspired now to plan another trip to the area and I think I'll make my version of Pici con Cinghiale for dinner tonight.

ElendilPickle Jan 4th, 2016 01:39 PM

Fabulous pictures!

Lee Ann

historytraveler Jan 4th, 2016 02:15 PM

Loved your photos. Makes me wish I still took pictures but I gave up years ago. ;)

enewell Jan 4th, 2016 02:31 PM

Beautiful photos! And I hope you'll write a trip report, as I always enjoy reading of your travels.

Dee_Dee Jan 4th, 2016 03:52 PM

Simply stunning! You really do have a good eye. I always enjoy your trip reports and your pictures. Thanks!

jamikins Jan 5th, 2016 04:48 AM

Thanks everyone! So glad you enjoyed them.

St Cirq - that is Bagno Vignoni, an old Roman (I think) thermal spa. Just lovely!

No trip report this time, we have kind of given up on them. I'll continue to post pics but we got tired of justifying our travel decisions to some posters...just got too tedious and wasn't fun anymore!

Dayle - so sorry to hear about Yoda, glad you have a couple rescue pugs to spoil! Aren't pugs just the best!

Wesleymarsh - this time we stayed in Montepulciano as we were with my family and it made it easier.

Happy to answer any questions!

StCirq Jan 5th, 2016 05:01 AM

Thanks, Jamikins. So it is. You'd think I would have remembered the name - it's my profile picture!

Trophywife007 Jan 5th, 2016 05:31 AM

Bookmarking for later... only had time for a quick look but your pics look wonderful!

wesleymarsh Jan 5th, 2016 07:26 AM

>>we got tired of justifying our travel decisions to some posters<<

Why did you feel a need to justify anything? No one traveler can please everyone on the planet. On the internet, everyone is a critic. I'm neck deep in research on southern Tuscany, and it seems your trip reports bring pleasure to many people. Why spoil the fun for so many who appreciate your writing, and let the rude, boorish critics silence you?

I'm not trying to pry, but you seem reluctant to discuss your lodgings. Did you not enjoy them this trip? I've looked at your photos but I don't think you photographed any aspect of an interior room. Were you not inspired by the interiors?

jamikins Jan 5th, 2016 07:40 AM

wesleymarsh - it is just not fun for us when threads go downhill because of some posters, that's why we don't write them anymore. It takes a lot of time for my hubby to write them and if he doesn't enjoy the banter with friendly posters he doesn't want to take the time. Our previous trip report on the area is here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-new-years.cfm

I am happy to answer questions though, and not hesitant to share our apartment info as we loved it so much we booked in for NYE week in 2017/2018! I didn't realise you were looking for specific information.

We stayed here: www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it/

We had apartment 3 and 4 that connect. There is secure parking that is fairly simple to get to without going through town, and it is right in the heart of Montepulciano. The woman we dealt with was lovely. HIGHLY recommend it.

Did you need any further information?