Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Picture taking in Vatican Museums/Borghese ...

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Bob

Is picture taking allowed in these museums?

What about videotaping??

Welcome comments.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Paige

No pictures in the Borghese! They wouldn't even let me take my purse in!
We walked into the Vatican Museum with our camera around my hubby's neck but it could be that you're not supposed to take flash pictures there. I saw someone walking through the Vatican Museums looking at everything through her video camera, so I assume that's allowed.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:25 AM
sandi

You definitely can not take photos or video in the Sistine Chapel.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Gina

Flash photography does appear to be allowed in St. Peter's Basilica; I saw quite a lot of it and there were no signs forbidding it. I took a few flash photos myself, which turned out surprisingly well (yay for the Nikon Coolpix 880).

Flash photography is definitely *not* permitted in the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel, but I *did* see someone take one flash photo. Guards didn't appear to notice. I'm fairly sure that Sandi's right that they don't allow non-flash photography or video either. However, the mere fact that they don't make you check bags/cameras (they do have a check, but only for very large bags--they refused to take my heavy purse, which contained my camera, even though I wanted to get rid of it for a few hours) leaves them open to some against-the-rules photography happening.

The Borghese Galleries are strictest of all. You can't even take a purse in there. I found myself running up and down stairs trying to get ticket and audio guide paid for, bag checked, and so forth, so here's the drill:

First, go into the *downstairs* entrance and pay for your ticket; desk is to your right. Bag check is next to the stairs on the left as you come down. Audio guides can be rented from a desk in the hall straight ahead of you as you come down the stairs, then to your right.

After you get all this done, then go back outside and upstairs to the galleries themselves, which are utterly breathtaking.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:36 AM
howard

I'll have to disagree with Paige about the Vatican Museum. Except for the Sistine Chapel and few isolated spots, there were no restrictions on flash photography...and I kept asking! If a room is fairly dark, you can bet that flash is not allowed.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Dick

Photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel, but when we were there in November many pictures were being taken - the guards would tell individuals to stop and every now and again there would be a more general announcement about it, but that's about all.

At some risk to my immortal soul, I sat on one of the benches along the back wall and placed my 35 mm in my lap, pointed the lens heavenward and set the exposure at 2 seconds before surreptitiously sneaking a couple of shots that ended up coming out perfectly.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:57 AM
mm

i believe flash photog. can be damaging to paintings and usually is not allowed although many times not inforced. i would recommend NOT to use flashes in any case because of possible damaging effects over time.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Beth

The thing about the Sistine is that when it was restored, Sony paid for a lot of the restoration costs ,and hence locked up the photo rights for a very long time. Therefore you are not allowed to take any photos or videos in there. I'm not surprised the guards are kind of lackadaisacal about it though. We took flash photos throughout the rest of the museum and the Basilica. We were with a guide from Scala Reale, and she would have told us if it were not allowed.

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Bob

Thank you for all of your comments!

Bob