Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pick up rental car in Orvieto? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pick-up-rental-car-in-orvieto-462704/)

JeanneB Jul 26th, 2004 09:06 PM

Pick up rental car in Orvieto?

I know people have said they've trained out of Rome to pick up their car in Orvieto. But I've tried Auto Europe, Nova and Sixt...no luck.

Can someone tell me who has offices in Orvieto? Thanks.

Marilyn Jul 26th, 2004 10:19 PM

You can rent through Auto Europe but you have to phone them. The website says "no pickup in Orvieto," but it's not true. The actual agency is Avis.
(At least this was the case last year.)

grimmy Jul 27th, 2004 02:48 AM

Several years ago we made arrangements with Hertz to pick up a car in Orvieto. Their office there is very small.
We had a specified time to pick it up. When we arrived they told us the car was still in Rome and we ended up waiting hours for it to arrive.
If we had to do over we would just pick car up at Rome airport.

JeanneB Jul 27th, 2004 04:42 AM

Terrific replies, thanks! It helps itinerary planning to know we can p/up in Orvieto. We arent' going until Feb. so I'll wait to make the reservation, hoping for winter deals.

Just out of curiosity, I checked Avis' website and was surprised to get a total rate almost 20% lower than Auto Europe.

bobthenavigator Jul 27th, 2004 05:50 AM

Where are you going? I often suggest pick up in Chiusi rather than Orvieto.

JeanneB Jul 27th, 2004 06:15 AM

BOB---Here's the prelim itinerary (with much input from you, I must say):

ROME: 4 nights

Train to ORVIETO: 1 night

Day 6, p/up car, see Chiusi/Montepulciano:
stay in MONTALCINO: 3 nights

Day 9, Cortona and area, returning to
SIENA: 2 nights (maybe 3)

Day 11, Volterra and
SAN GIMIGNANO: 1 night (maybe stay in Siena this night and do day trip to SG)

Day 12, Greve for lunch, to FLORENCE: 3 nights

What do you think re: Orvieto vs Chiusi pick up?

Aine Jul 27th, 2004 06:42 AM

JeanneB, Hi I just got back from vacation and posted a reply to your Johlea question. Cheers, Aine

ira Jul 27th, 2004 06:49 AM

Hi Jeanne,

The Avis people have an office in Orvieto. Go to their website.

Marilyn Jul 27th, 2004 08:36 AM

Don't use Hertz in Orvieto -- too many horror stories about that particular office!

jabez Jul 27th, 2004 10:35 AM

We used Avis last year and had a great car and price. You might even save more with a special AWD (discount code). Go to the Avis forum at www.flyertalk.com for more information.

bobthenavigator Jul 27th, 2004 11:43 AM

Well, I hate one niters, but if you plan to stay in Orvieto then that is your best option. If you were going to Montalcino then I would say Chiusi. And, why not see San Gimmy and Volterra as a day trip from Siena--it is less than an hour drive. Did I say that I hate one niters? Especially when it involves tough logistics with cars and luggage.

JeanneB Jul 27th, 2004 12:55 PM

It's not set in concrete...not having been to any of these places it's very dificult to give priority one over the other. Orvieto is a good example. I've read so many exclamatory posts about it I thought it would be good to spend the night there and explore.

Logistically, however, it would make more sense to do train to Chiusi, get car, eat lunch in Montepulciano and travel on to M'cino for the night. Or, for a different twist, I may switch it around and go from Rome to Florence, drive back thru Tuscany and spend the last night in Rome. This is like Rubric's cube!

JeanneB Jul 27th, 2004 06:56 PM

One more question.

If we do not stay in Orvieto, can we store our bags at the train station and go in and tour the city? Then we could come back and p/up the car later.