Walking across Venice?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking across Venice?

I have a hotel reserved in the Dorsoduro area & decided to add an extra day to Venice and of course that hotel is full that nite. I thought I could find something closeby, but a lot of the hotels are full.
So here's the question. How far away can I look and still wheel my little bag over to my other hotel the next day. Trying to avoid water transportation with suitcase.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM

Hi tamtravels, if you don't have a problem with walking and are in decent shape and if you truly have a small wheeled bag you will not have a problem. I am sure I am a lot older than you and I could..Venice is an easy city to walk in inspite of the bridges.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:03 AM

my friend and I just got back from a trip to venice. we had a nice little hotel next to the train station, but the day we left we ended up having to leg it to the bus depot (which is a fair bit away) as we'd forgotten to change the hour on our alarm clock. At that stage, venice didn't seem so walkable. However, if your bag isn't too heavy, you shouldn't have too much trouble. figure out where you're leaving from, but generally I'd recommend staying in the santa croce/san polo/cannaregio area. Venice rocks though! Have a great time!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:11 AM

count the bridges in between. that will be the killer, if there is one. The Scalzi bridge for example is quite a little mountain to climb with a heavy bag.

you dont say where you are in Dorsoduro or where your other hotel would be so its hard to make a judgments. Some routes in Venice have many fewer ups and downs than others.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Had a similar problem on one of my trips. e-mail or fax your hotel asking
them if they could contact a man who
carts your bag(s) to next hotel.
Don't remember proper term for this person but they do exist & are reasonably-priced.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM

So why are you avoiding water transportation? And how are you getting to your first hotel? It's easy to roll your bag onto the big vaporettos along the Grand Canal. Much easier than crossing all those stepped bridges with a roller bag.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hi Tam,

I, too, don't see the big problem with taking a vaporetto. Easier than walking the whole way.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM
MaureenB

Might be easier to get another hotel where you can stay the entire time. So many to choose from in Venice.
>-

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Add another to the ones asking why you are so set on avoiding water? It's really easy to roll your bag onto a vaporetto.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, if you have just one small wheeled bag it's easy to take it on the vaporetto. People do it all the time.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
lyb

another vote for the vaporetto...people have their luggage on all the time and as others have mentioned, if there are a lot of bridges, depending on how heavy your suitcase is and how warm it is outside, it maybe a bit of an exercise. I talk from experience. When I was there in October, I got on the wrong Alilaguna boat from the airport, well, I knew that I was getting on the one that stopped at San Marco instead of the one near my hotel in castello, but I thought, how bad can going over the bridges be? Well, let me tell you that when it's warm, and you've just flown from california, 8 bridges as opposed to 2 makes a HUGE difference!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Vaporetto is fine with rolling luggage. I agree that if you can simply get another hotel for entire trip without losing money - do that. Hotel Firenze is just off Piazza San Marco and is a great base. www.hotel-firenze.com and also www.hotelaidomori.com Firenze is fancier than aidomori but both are excellent locations.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Depending on from where/to where you are going the vaporetto actually could prove easier (just roll on to the boat) than going across town on foot if you have to pass over steps, bridges, etc.