Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Photos of Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/photos-of-spain-845210/)

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 12:42 AM

Photos of Spain

Here are a few shots of Spain taken over the years. Since I only recently purchased a digital camera, there are relatively few photos to upload. The others are slides that must be converted.

This is the first time I have tried this so if you have access to more than this one album, please let me know.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the limited shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Aduchamp...ZA&feat=email#

worldinabag Jun 16th, 2010 01:20 AM

Is that the running of the sheep in Pamplona? :))

ribeirasacra Jun 16th, 2010 01:34 AM

world in a bag...:-)
So now AD you have to get scanning those old photos and uploading.

Some nice photos there. I assume that is family with the firey hands? Where is the photo of the mist?

adammacia Jun 16th, 2010 03:44 AM

Very nice photos Aduchamp! Now some things are diferent. Like Pamploma, and by the way, worldinabag, your comment is not funny! Poor running of the bulls, it´s an awful thing, to laugh at animals, make them suffer and torture them at the end in the bullring!
It's one of the awful things that happen in Spain, but there are worst things, like in a town called Tordesillas, they kill a bull with lances! so primitive, many spaniards, seem to be living in the past! We suposed to live in a Modern world! But every year, there a more and more people opposed to animal suffering!

jubilada Jun 16th, 2010 04:13 AM

Thank you for these. I especially enjoy the contrast of the sheep and the urban looking setting of Pamlona. And Galicia!

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 04:24 AM

The mist and the woman holding the pine cones and the filloas are taken in a small town about 12 miles north of Santiago.

jubilada Jun 16th, 2010 04:26 AM

Gorgeous. The misty picture actually reminds me of the drive to my home through the hills of western massachusetts!

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 04:29 AM

Thank you all

That part of Galicia does look a little like the Berkshires.

Robert2533 Jun 16th, 2010 08:39 AM

Pamplona has change a lot since 72, but they still shepherd (a pastore) the sheep through the city, the same way they do in Ketchum, Idaho, twice each year. In Ketchum it's referred to as the "running of the sheep".

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 08:44 AM

I will try and post more pictures of old Spain.

We spent about a week in Pamplona and about two weeks after we left the restaurant we frequented was blown up by the ETA.

worldinabag Jun 16th, 2010 02:18 PM

Hi adammacia

Please refer to my previous posts in this forum. I am totally opposed to the "bull cult" in Spain and look forward to the day when the creatures are no longer tormented. However close examination of OP's photo indicates no live sheep were harmed or harassed for our entertainment :-d

Robert2533 Jun 16th, 2010 07:24 PM

ETA had a point in 72, but that went away some years ago with Franco's passing.

worldinabag, do you limit your cause to the "bull cult" in Spain, or have you looked at what goes on around the rest of the world, from a constant state of war, on down.

Bokhara2 Jun 16th, 2010 07:34 PM

Thanks Adu - charming & atmospheric photos.

From what I can see, it's much more the "sauntering of the sheep" than running.

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 07:48 PM

Thank you.

From what I can see, it's much more the "sauntering of the sheep" than running.

I beleive that was taken moments before the sauting of the sheep.

Aduchamp1 Jun 16th, 2010 08:20 PM

For the gallegos I added a photo of an horreo. An horreo is a raised structure to hold and protect it against rodents. They often have two symbols on opposite ends a cross and a phallus representing fertility. It is found in the northern provinces.

The horreo in the photo is raised but it cannot be seen because of the angle of the shot.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Aduchamp...ZA&feat=email#

adrienne Jun 17th, 2010 03:27 AM

Let's have some more - I love looking at old photos!

I thought the running of the sheep comment was funny. What we need less of here is scolding newbies.

jerseysusan Jun 17th, 2010 04:20 AM

Your photos are wonderful. I hope you are able to post more.

ribeirasacra Jun 17th, 2010 04:33 AM

horreo found in the northern provinces???
It is building found all over Galicia. Except in my part of the valley where it is too steep. Up the hill they have loads of them.
adrienne I loved that comment too. It is a shame we cannot award comedian of the year for that one.
The bull culture will end.

Aduchamp1 Jun 17th, 2010 06:50 AM

Thank you.

I have to convert the slides to digital form.

alexislovesspain Jun 17th, 2010 09:35 AM

Great photos! I like the horros that have been converted into houses .. I'll see if I have an photos of those.