Search

Photos of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos of Paris

I took these photos in Paris over the course of three trips. Not exactly a trip report, but, you can follow my footsteps when you view the photos.

The first 20 or so were taken in May 2004 with a Canon P&S - an S400. There are photos on the Ile de la Cite (including Notre Dame), les Tuileries, some flower photos, and ending with four shots of the Eiffel Tower taken at dusk.

The remainder were taken in either May/June 2009, or, July 2009. For those two trips a number of the shots were taken with my Canon P&S SD800IS (when I couldn't bear to carry my gear all over), but, for the most part I used my Canon 30D with a 24-105 F4L zoom lens. Better equipment!

The 2009 photos run the gamut. Flowers found in street markets or shops, a few of Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Ste Chappelle, St Etienne du Mont, Pantheon, Rue Soufflot, one at the Cluny, at least one in the Marais, several taken at/near the Pont Alexandre III, some at the Louvre, and several at Pere Lachaise.

What I don't have in this set are the Tour de France photos I took in Paris in July, I have those in another set entirely which I haven't finished sorting yet.

Enjoy, I hope you like them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalk...30994201/show/
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous- thanks for posting these flygirl!
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks for sharing! I especially liked roses and Pere Lachaise shots near the end.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Beautiful photos. The flowers are gorgeous. I like the different angles that you shot from on some of the monuments. Another favorite was the empty chairs & tables at what appears to be Place Vosges.

Can't wait for your Tour de France photos.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Very, very nice. Thanks for posting them. Makes me want to check flight prices!
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Your photos are lovely. You photographed the restaurant the Guirlande de Julie. I treated myself there for Valentine's day
a few years. And oh, I could almost smell "your" roses
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM

very lovely pictures..good camera work

Thanks a lot for sharing
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Merci beaucoup, flygirl
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM

What beautiful pictures; I am so impressed. I leave for Paris next Sun., and your photos should inspire me to try to take better pictures.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the kind comments!

Apres_Londee, I hope to get my London trip photos online here, from February, before I leave for London next week.

MmeFifi, thanks! I would definitely have liked to have spent more time in Pere Lachaise. If you can, get your hands on the book "Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light" by David Downie. He has a great chapter on Pere Lachaise. I read it aloud to my Mom when visiting my parents last spring and she put it on the list of Things to See for our trip. I had visited there MANY years ago but a return trip was a must.

TPAYT, thanks. I almost didn't include the Marais/cafe shots. You have a GREAT eye for spotting where that is!

Cynthia, as we head into the winter it's going to get cheaper - do it!

Cigale, you know much more than I do - I'll have to go back and find the restaurant shot and label it. Thank you! The roses were a treat - so many! I took a similar photo in Provence at a market, only that one was garlic piled several feet high.

Percy, thanks.

Elsiejune, how was your own trip? I'll have to check for reports here.

Grandmere, thank you. Have a great time and I'll look for your report and photos. One quick tip about night shots (or churches)... if you have a timer on your camera, set the shutter to go off 2 seconds after you press the shutter. Set the camera on a firm surface (on a pew for instance, or a table - and for ceiling shots the floor makes quite a nice firm surface) and if necessary use your coat or guidebook to prop it up a little. Press the shutter and take your hands off the camera and let 'er rip. No camera shake. One of the Eiffel Tower shots was taken that way (the one that is tilted - after I took it I kind of liked the effect) but the rest were handheld with a higher ISO (I also have IS on the 24-105 lens which helps a lot too). I didn't take my tripod on either trip this time but I did OK.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM

As always, the shots are super! You know what your retiremnet job could be!!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM

The shots are amazing! I love, love the flower shots! I assume you have a great zoom on your camera? I'm always shy when it comes to taking photos of flowers because the proprietor is close by and I feel as if I'm violating some law that I don't know about.

TR
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:03 AM

THANK YOU!! What a treat
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Thank you, flygirl. Very nicely done.

Are you using anything for post-processing? I have purchased a copy of LightRoom and I am very happy with it.

Anselm
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Avalon, thanks!

Travelribbon - yes, I have a good zoom (24-105, on a crop camera that is essentially 150-ish or 3x normal) but I'm still "in your face" with the flowers. These were outside...

Lantana, glad you liked them.

Anselm, I use Picasa. I've heard lightroom is very good, I should look into it.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Wow. Some of these are truly "frame worthy". Like the St Chapelle ones, Eiffel with moon, street sceens, flowers..did I miss any ?
Thanks, it transported me 3000 miles away.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Michel, thank you. I am so glad it takes you on a trip to Paris.

The Eiffel Tower with moon photo.. I took that the day of my arrival in 2004. I was jetlagged to beat the band but nonetheless spent the ENTIRE day walking all over Paris, with only two breaks: a shower when they let me into my room at the hotel, and lunch. I can't tell you how many miles I walked with jetlag (no, no metro that day, what is wrong with me??) and then when I finally made it to the Eiffel Tower, at a perfect time for photos.. my camera battery died. ARGH! I took it out, warmed it in my hands for a few minutes and then when I put it back managed to take a handful of photos before it died for good.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Nice to have the story to match with the picture.

I like so many, I may use a couple for screensavers. Copyright violation ?

My problem with pictures is that I can "see" the photo I want, but the results never quite match the vision. I now have a gift certificate for lessons
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Beautiful! Did you stay at the Hotel Colbert? We stayed there on my first trip to Paris.... a lonng time ago. Quite a snafu to get there as we were driving. Husband told me to find the Rue Colbert on the map. Welll... we found it... full of warehouses. My husband said of the friend who recommended the hotel: I know Suzie like's a bargain.. but this is ridiculous.
Of course, we should have been looking for Rue L'Hotel Colbert! Eventually found it just by dumb luck.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Wonderful Flygirl! Thanks. My husband and I were in Paris exactly a year ago next week for our 25th anniv. Loved every minute.
I also took a picture of the statue in the Tuileries with the bird on his head! He seems to be saying, "Why me?" I giggle every time I look at that photo. Wonder if its the same pigeon?
P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -