Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Photos from recent Italy trip (came home yesterday!)

May 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I am back from Italy (last night). I've spent most of today uploading 277 photos (out of just over 1500!!). They are located at this link: http://www.worldisround.com/articles/297791/index.html

I hope you'll enjoy them. Will be posting soon on my home page (below) the hotel and restaurant information, as well as my journal.

Ciao,

Monica

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
May 26th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Great pictures! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one taking pictures of my food in Italy!
May 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

There were a few times I was hesitant to take photos of my meals, then I got into the mindframe of "they'll never see me again...who cares."
May 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Monica,

I thouroughly enjoyed your photos. What a a great time you must have had. It makes me want to return to Italy even more than before I saw them. In particular, the photos of Venice are terrific.

Where did you stay in Venice? The view looks terrific from your hotel.

Dave
May 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Dave, I stayed at the Hotel La Calcina. For my single room, #31, which faces the side canal, but can see the Guidecca canal, was only 106 Euros (cash payment). It included a nice buffet breakfast and their dinners are wonderful and you get a discount because of staying there. Anytime I plan to return to Venice that's where I'll stay!

Monica
May 27th, 2006, 04:37 AM

Monica -

Great pictures! Thanks.

What kind of camera did you use? Ours just quit and we need a replacement before our Rome trip!
May 27th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

I recently purchased a Canon SD550. I love it!! It has all the functions I need, including being lightweight (compared to my Canon A70) and having the 2.5" LCD screen for my bad eyes). I did a lot of research and found this to be the best one. I purchased a second battery, which I definitely needed while in Venice; and purchased the international charger that I used. The SD600 should be out now and was my other choice, as it has the 3" screen, but there was one thing the SD600 didn't have that the SD550 had. Can't remember what it was. If you go to this web site http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp you can do a side by side comparison.

Hope this helps!

Monica

May 27th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Monica! The pictures are lovely. Thank you for sharing them the day you returned. Two weeks from today will be our first morning in Venice! Whooohoooo
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I just posted my restaurant listing from my trip, as well as hotel information. The next few days I'll work on my journal!

Monica

http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html Click on the links to the left (Restaurants and Hotel).
May 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Monica,

First of all, I can't BELIEVE you came back from Italy and immediately went through all your pictures, culled through them, and then uploaded 277 photos!

Me, I'd still be doing laundry, soothing the kitty, going through emails and regular mail and sorting through receipts! Kudos to YOU!

The pictures were awesome, and I can't believe you took shots of your food! I never would have thought of that. You are well and truly a "Foodie" for sure!

My husband and I spent a week in an apartment in Greve and I shopped at the Saturday market and bought boar salami; tomatoes, cheese and a head of lettuce as big as a tire - I wish I'd thought to take a photo of THAT!

Thanks for posting this (and so soon, extra points for that)!

Regards,

Melodie
May 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Monica thanks, great photos and I enjoyed your web site. The packing list was helpful for my upcoming trip. The photos just make me ready to go! Did you take a gondola ride? Is that something to bargain for?
May 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Welcome home, Monica, thanks for the photos
May 27th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Wow Monica! You are super fast and efficient! I don't know how you do it...but I do so enjoy it

Thanks so much!
May 28th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

wlzmatilida,

I only got my photos on line because I have a 4 day weekend before I head back to work. My clothes are still on the floor and I only unpacked my suitcase yesterday! I will be back in school in about 10 days, so I wanted to get a headstart on this. Normally it takes me several weeks.

Zydecoqueen, no I didn't take a gondola ride. They're about 70 euros and that's just too much for me. Besides, it's not really romantic going solo. I did take lots of photos of the gondoliers! I did do a boat tour in Venice (group of 8 people), which I will mention in my journal (1/2 done).

Monica
May 28th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Thanks, Monica. I really enjoyed your pictures, especially the photos of food. Having read your posts over the years, I didn't realize how young you are.

Your friend,
Twiggy
May 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm a young 44, going on 45 in July.

Monica