Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Photogenic village in Burgundy, France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/photogenic-village-in-burgundy-france-720281/)

Togo Jul 12th, 2007 11:38 AM

Photogenic village in Burgundy, France

Iím planning a trip to France next year, sometime in late May/ early June, and Iím looking for a short stopover point somewhere in Burgundy on my way back to Paris from Provence. Can you recommend a most photogenic, picturesque, pretty village or town with nice walks? Iím looking for one village w/ lots of photo ops and great background scenery. I think I can allocate two days. Thanks in advance.

Michael Jul 12th, 2007 11:55 AM

Try Noyers-sur-Serein which is designated as <i>un des plus beaux villages de France</i>.

Pvoyageuse Jul 12th, 2007 12:09 PM

Try Apremont sur Allier near Nevers :
http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/...sur_allier.htm

PalenQ Jul 12th, 2007 12:20 PM

Vezelay - an ancient village topping a hill surrounded by checkerboard bucolic landscape.

On top of hill is famous Basilica that once housed a relic of Our Lady i guess - anyway was one of the medieval world's most hopping pilgrimage spots.

The dazzling basilica still stuns folks today.

But after in medieval days when the town's religious relic was proved to be a hoax the pilgrimage trade suddenly dried up.

The town became a ghost town until the 1800s i believe when it was restored - so it looks just like a medieval village - cobbled streets lined ny ancient stone buildings.

But a tourist town also but still very unique.

SuzieCII Jul 12th, 2007 12:27 PM

Water, reflections, really old, I mean REALLY old buildings Verdun Sur Soane...close to St. Jean du Losne; then stay in Dijon

PalenQ Jul 12th, 2007 12:30 PM

I've ridden my bicycle thru this part of Burgundy twice and i'd say that every village in Burgundy is awfully scenic.

If you watched today's Tour de France coverage (Chablis-Autun) you'd see what i mean

drbb Jul 12th, 2007 12:39 PM

There's actually a &quot;coffee table&quot; book called the Most Beautiful Villages of Burgundy. You may want to check it out.

kerouac Jul 12th, 2007 12:42 PM

Vezelay or Avallon.

blh Jul 12th, 2007 05:43 PM

Our favorite is Vezelay. The Basilica is wonderful! However, there are many beautiful villages in Burgundy. Another favorite is Brancion - very tiny - a good lunch stop - and one of the most scenic and picturesque villages in Burgundy. Easy to spend two days in this area.

mideba Jul 12th, 2007 07:09 PM

Semur-en-auxois, Chateauneuf-en-auxois and Vezelay.

happytotravel Jul 12th, 2007 07:52 PM

I don't know if it is the most beautiful, but I have some photos of my children I took in a sepia tone in Chablis and nearby small villages that are striking. The contrasts are really pretty. I love the weeping willows over the river and the old walls. Certainly worth detour, IMO.

Underhill Jul 12th, 2007 08:05 PM

You can see some of Semur-en-Auxois tomorrow on the Tour de France; it's the start for the stage.

PalenQ Jul 13th, 2007 06:22 AM

Interesting interview on NPR this morning with some folks in Semur-en-Auxois, which was called a gorgeous gorgeous village.

Some complained about the Mayor spending so much money just to repave the Tour's roads just for the tour - some feel the money could be been better spent.

So though most were thrilled that their burg would be for the first time on the Tour, others were not plussed. But everyone agreed that the town was exceptionally quaint

Coquelicot Jul 13th, 2007 07:10 AM

Apremont-sur-Allier is indeed charming, right along the river, with a wonderful English-style garden. It's worth a detour, but you can't stay overnight. There's one restaurant and the garden has a gift shop, but that may be it for commerce--no boulangerie, no patisserie, no bar-tabac. I think every building in town belongs to one family. The garden is so lovely it made one Frenchwoman cry, and early summer should be peak viewing time.

Togo Jul 13th, 2007 05:37 PM

Merci everyone!
Wow, there are so many of them that this can be a separate trip on its own. My list of places to go is getting longer and longer, and trying to trim them down will be painful.

Pvoyageuse and Coquelicot: How come I've never seen Apremont Sur Allier being mentioned here? Indeed, it looks very pretty.

To all: Do any of these villages get lit up at night to make it a postcard-perfect photo?

Pvoyageuse Jul 13th, 2007 09:56 PM

&quot; How come I've never seen Apremont Sur Allier being mentioned here? Indeed, it looks very pretty&quot;.

Maybe because it is a bit out of the way and tourists tend to flock to places recommended by Rick Steeves and other guidebooks :-)))

NeoPatrick Jul 13th, 2007 10:41 PM

I'm tempted to suggest you put a map of Burgundy on a dartboard and throw a dart to pick a village. Each and every village seems to have a special beauty in its own way.

Michael Jul 14th, 2007 06:19 AM

I would recommend Apremont-sur-Allier (not in Burgundy) only for its garden and possibly the museum in the chateau (I did not see the latter). Otherwise it is a village kept in amber. I heard a rumor that all structures built after 1800 were torn down; a &quot;historical&quot; village that is completely ahistorical.

Togo Jul 14th, 2007 11:04 AM

Neo: I may just do that if I can't make up my mind. :)

To all: Any suggestion on a beautifully lit up village in Burgundy at night? I assume villages w/ castle and cathedral might be the candidates. I'll use it as a base to explore other villages and spend more time in Burgundy.
I'm beginning to think that I should drop Provence all together and just concentrate on central France on this trip, saving southern France for later. That is if I don't read another fabulous Provence trip report.

Coquelicot Jul 14th, 2007 11:28 AM

www.cometofrance.com/villages.html
lists 144 of the most beautiful villages by region, but there are plenty of places to fall in love with that aren't officially &quot;the most beautiful.&quot; Montresor was ranked top of the 144 last time I checked. The nearby town of Loches has a donjon, church, keep, and I think a chateau on top of the hill, which might be lit up at night. You can see a panoramic view of Loches on the town's website, and it might mention whether there's night lighting. This is a great idea to organize a driving trip around. Keep us posted! (I can't get rid of the double web address at the top. Just use the half you prefer.)