Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Photo trip report, Italy & Munich, March '04 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/photo-trip-report-italy-and-munich-march-04-a-419278/)

katmoo Apr 5th, 2004 02:34 PM

Photo trip report, Italy & Munich, March '04

Just returned from a 12-day trip through Munich and Italy (Venice, Tuscany, Rome). We have an online photo journal with text online at http://deepbluesun.com/italy .
WARNING! it is an honest, sometimes-irreverent, slightly wacky recounting of our trip. But it's meant to be fun and even a bit informative. It includes shots of the largest protest rally in Italy's history, which just happened to fall on the day we arrived in Rome, on the one year anniversary of the bombing of Iraq.

Both my husband and I are musicians from the US, and this was our first trip abroad together. It's best for those with a high speed connection. Have fun!

petite Apr 5th, 2004 02:50 PM

Katmoo, what a GREAT photo journal! I have read many Italy trip journals and devoured hundreds of photos in preparation for our June Italy trip, and I have to admit, your journal is now one of my "best of"!!

Thanks for sharing. Your website will have many hits to come. Well done!

peggybauer Apr 5th, 2004 03:25 PM

Your photo journal is amazing. We were in Italy,(though not Rome) around the same time. Your pictures blew me away. Thanks so much for sharing.

bobthenavigator Apr 5th, 2004 04:03 PM

Very nice job--I love the format. How did you happen to find the Palazzo del Capitano--I love that location for south Tuscany.

padbrasher Apr 5th, 2004 04:06 PM

I loved your photo journal. My family followed your journey closely: Venice from March 15-18, Siena from March 18-21 and Rome from March 21-24. Now I can't wait to see my own attempts at photography. Thanks for the treat.

katmoo Apr 5th, 2004 05:39 PM

bob, you ask how i found the palazzo il capitano? the answer is...through *your* posts! did my research here on fodors, and pretty much all the recommendations i followed panned out. (including the Hotel Uhland in munich. another great hotel with staff that really care.) thanks for the kind words.

lyb Apr 5th, 2004 06:42 PM

Katmoo,

Your "attempt at Journalism" as you called it, was great, especially the picture taken from under a large PACE flag! Absolutely amazing!!! I love it!!!

Your trip seemed wonderful!

awbaker Apr 6th, 2004 03:11 AM

I love your web site! Very easy to use. And your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

San Quirico looks beautiful. We were considering the same room at Plazzo del Capitano (looks like the Toro room), but have decided to stay at Il Giglio in Montalcino instead.

I know you liked the church in trastevere. If you were to return to Rome (I realize you didn't think you would), would you consider staying in that neighborhood?

katmoo Apr 6th, 2004 06:04 AM

hi awbaker. the trastevere neighborhood is definitely more "intimate" than other parts of Rome. At night, it had the best bar/restaurant/walking/people watching vibe that we came across. however, we didn't get too far off the navona/campo dei fiori/trast path at night, so there may be other areas that fit that description as well. i would say that if you are in your 20's or 30's, absolutely stay there. if you are older, assess how much night life you enjoy and act accordingly. we stayed near piazza farnese/campo, and found it convenient to both trast. and other sites, so we feel we got the best of both worlds.

awbaker Apr 6th, 2004 06:12 AM

thanks kat

We (my husband & myself) are in our 30's, and we are a little bit quirky, too. last year we went to japan/thailand & photographed our son's plastic toy tiger everywhere for him to see in photos when we returned home. the panda reminded me of this.

I can't decide between a hotel in trastevere which has a lovely courtyard, or a hotel in campo d'fiori with no outdoor space but looks lovely & has good reviews here. i'm sure we'll be happy at either, though. Both locations seem fun at night, and campo d'fiori is probably a better location for daytime.

mr_go Apr 6th, 2004 06:30 AM

Yes! Yes! That's it! That's what an Italian vacation looks and feels like!

Anyone who stumbles on this thread while researching their first Italian holiday...you have to check this out.

It's gems like this that keep me coming back to this board. Outstanding work, katmoo!

tcreath Apr 6th, 2004 06:38 AM

Hi!

What a great report! So much fun to see the pictures (which are great...I could take a few lessons!) and read the commentaries...we just got back from Italy ourselves and your report makes me long for it again!

Thanks for posting! Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Tracy

halfpint Apr 6th, 2004 11:26 AM

Just read your report and enjoyed the pictures along the way, so very much. You are SO lucky to be able to travel that way, because as a senior citizen, have traveled many years now with a travel company and many great trips, same territories as you, however you get the pleasure of seeking out the hilltowns and spending your own time in them, instead of 40 or so off the bus, in each others way of taking pictures of quaint little corners, etc. However have done quite well that way, but do envy you folks who can do it by yourselves and at a leisurely pace. Appreciate and enjoy every moment you have in life like that. The times are very precious. Thanks so much for your report. It was great. Halfpint

Kyriaki Apr 28th, 2004 01:21 PM

Wow, great pics! You're a great photographer and it was fun to read your captions rather than just look at the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

maitaitom Apr 28th, 2004 01:34 PM

After going through all your beautiful pictures, one stood out. May I just say, "Welcome Back Kotter!"
((H))

grosenb Apr 28th, 2004 07:17 PM

Excellent trip report. Your attempt at photojouralism was right on. I can't decide if the pace flag pic or the one of your cat made more of an impression on me.

Welcome Back.

travelchick Apr 28th, 2004 07:24 PM

I loved the captions for the pics in Rome! Thanks for sharing such an original trip report.