Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Photo not required with 7 day tube in london????verify?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

I had been reading in several posts on search, posters stating that they heard that you no longer have to get photocards when purchasing 7 day tube passes in london.

I need to verify this. Would someone state a source for this? I have tried to verify it on the tube site by looking thru their press releases but can't find anything. In the pdf of their rates and passes it still states that you need a photocard.

thanks for any help

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:53 AM

What's the big deal? Bring along a snapshot of yourself in case you need it -- surely you have one tucked away somewhere, perhaps a pose in which your significant other doesn't look very good, that you can sacrifice. Recent posters who have been to London do report that it's not required.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

anon,

Did your post answer my question? I didn't ask for judgement, just an answer to the question.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

We were in London in May. We did not need photos for the 7-day tube passes. We asked the seller and he said a photo is not necessary any longer. That said, take a small photo along anyway. I was thoroughly roughed up on this board for saying we did not need a photo in Paris. We didn't but apparently everyone else buying the carte orange does. Better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Ahem, as a matter of fact, my post did answer your question!

"Recent posters who have been to London do report that it's not required."

I didn't mean to be judgmental, just trying to reduce your apparent anxiety about a little detail. Take a deep breath, now.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Erin...found this in a file....not sure if its what u r looking for but anywayz....http://www.visitbritain.com/hk/links...ondontrans.htm
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM

BeachBoi, that site says: "You will need a Photocard to buy and use one of the following tickets: Adult rate 7 Day, monthly and longer period Travelcards, Bus Passes(*), season tickets and the Weekly Tram Pass. *Photocard not needed for 7-day adult fare bus passes.

That site and www.thetube.com both say that the photo is needed. I suppose they could be slow getting around to updating the sites.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM

The plot thickens. touruk.co.uk says: "A Photocard is necessary for the purchase of any Travelcard (except the One-Day and Weekend versions)."

But someone on Flyertalk.com says that you need a photocard unless you buy your 7-day pass online from thetube.com (and it took about three weeks to reach him).
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:09 PM

I got a 7-day travelcard online (good for tube and buses) and we did not need a photo. It was easy and worthwhile.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
erinb,

You're getting lots of folks telling you a photocard is not required because, as their experience and mine bears out, none is required. Verification can be found at the site
Beach Boi offers. Under "fares and tickets" click on the pdf "for all fares" and you will find on pdf page 13:

"A photocard is not required for adult rate 7 day zone 1 or 2 or Zones 1 & 2 travelcards."

This information is repeated on pdf file page 23 under the Photocards paragraph asterick for Adult Rate 7 Day bit.

Mining that info is a bit like navigating the IRS.GOV website but it's there. Hope that's the verification source you require.

I don't think Anonymous was being particularly judgmental but your original post sounded a bit urgent when the simple remedy is to pack a photo.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Good for you, obxgirl! I was just too lazy to download that pdf file!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
obxgirl & others are right.

I bought 2 x 7 day Travelcards two weeks ago (June 24) at Piccadilly tube station. No photo was required.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

hi all,

Thanks for your replies. What I wanting was some form of written verification. They have needed one for so long and now they don't. I just wanted to make sure. We are thinking of waiting to get it when we get to london because the site we normally buy the 7 day visitor travelcard is now tacking on a $15 mailing fee. it is no longer a good deal.

anon, your post started out kind of "why are you worrying us with this question" kind of attitude. most people just want an answer to their question. sorry if I interpreted your post wrong.

thanks to everyone.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM

If what you really want is an advance-purchase Visitors Travelcard, you can get it at cost, shipped free, from the Transport for London's own agent: www.ticket-on-line.com.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi anon,

And much thanks. This is what I was used to, so raileurope site was confusing me. Thank you for letting me know the correct site.

I can purchase a 7 day 2 zone for about 19.6 pds or about $33. Thats about 2.8 pds per day. And this site sends you a dated ticket (no vouchers) so it is ready to use on day 1 (or day two for us).

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
erinb

You can walk into any tube station & get a Zone 1 for 16.80.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 01:50 AM

Both Transport for London (www.tfl.gov.uk) and London Underground (www.thetube.com) state that photocards are needed for weekly travelcards. There is a Visitor Travelcard for which a photocard is not needed, but these are normally only sold outside the UK.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:02 AM

As of 18 May 2003, photocards are no longer necessary for zone 1 or zone 1 & 2 7 day travelcards bought in London...this takes away any advantage whatsoever of buying the card in advance. Also unless you are going to both the zoo and Greenwich, there is no need to buy the zoe 1 & 2, the zone 1 will do saving you about 3 GBP.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Intrepid

Is the card that doesn't need a photo good for use at ANY time of the day or night?

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Geoff, read obxgirl's post or download the PDF fares from the tfl site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -