Reload this Page >

best trip for a rainy day...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 09:19 AM
stacy

Hi. Which of the following would be the best trip for a day when it might be rainy... <BR>Bath, warwick castle, stratford-upon-avon, cotswolds? <BR> <BR>I am guessing Warwick castle is probably the best since a lot of walking would be inside? <BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Roger

I wouldn't do any of them on a rainy day as you will still want to see the grounds etal. If it were me I would stay in London and visit the various museums such as the the British museum, V&A, National gallery and such. Save the day trips for when it is nicer outside.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 10:54 AM
rand

It rained heavily on us in Stratford. We dripped on the floors of all the sights. Upside is all the 'wimpy' tourists are crammed into the British Museum leaving the place quite empty. Sorry Roger, could not resist. We actually got quite cold. In the picture we have of dor eating an apple from the tree in Ann Hatheways garden (I didn't say that) she has her hood up and a rosy glow on her cheeks.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Dave

Stacy, <BR> <BR>Unfortunately all of those are "outdoor" sites: Warwick perhaps less than others, but I like the exterior best even there. <BR> <BR>How about Hampton Court Palace? Although the exterior is nice, there is a lot indoors to see - there are several wings which have been restored to different periods (Henry VIII, Stuart, etc). It's certainly nice if you can stroll through the grounds, especially the privy garden, but there's probably more to see indoors at Hampton Court than any of the other places you mentioned.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Vanessa

I went to Bath on a day it was raining, but it did not rain the entire day. If it had, I think it would have created a lot of problems. We took the double decker bus tour of the city and countryside. It didn't rain on us at that time. We also saw the Roman baths, which were partly outside, but there was usually some coveing if I recall correctly. So touring the Roman Baths while it was raining wouldn't be bad. We also were inside looking at the Bath Abbey for about 1/2 hour or so. Then we went to eat at Sally Lunn's and then walked around the town. While we were visiting the shops, that's when it started raining hard, and we got wet. But by that time it was already around 5:30 on a Monday, and most of the shops were closed/or closing anyway so we were ready to leave. <BR> So if it's on and off rain, I guess it's not so bad, because we had a nice time (although I wish it hadn't rained).

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Roger

Rand, I am typing this with a smile on my face so take what I am saying the right way. Are you for or against a day trip on a rainy day or not? I have done my share over the years and I am glad I did go but it would have been even better in good weather. Then again, if you wait for good weather in England you might never do or go any place. Coming from the Northwest I learned that life goes on with or without rain. Now to answer specifically, if they were to go to say Warwick I don't think it would be much fun exploring the gardens or even the walk ways. Enought said, go with your best instincts and have FUN!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:54 AM
rand

Roger, we are both used to the same weather. Both trips to England we have had a car, so Bath, Warwick etc were halfday trips from Stowe. It is different if you have a warm car to go back to. I agree with the 'if you wait for sunshine in England' idea. The problem with a forum is you do not know where the poster is from, so you have no frame of reference. I would not hold back for rain, but someone from Texas might be miserable if they followed my advice. I chatted with a Swede in Cambridge who was unprepared for how hot and sunny it was that day. Apparantly it had been cold and wet last summer in Sweden. I said 'so you have come to England for some sunshine then'. It took a few minutes for the laughter to die down in the breakfast room.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:08 PM
elvira

We did Hampton Court in the rain, and were prepared for no maze and chilly/damp. We had a great time! I would think that a castle or buildings would be better than outdoors and scenery, so I'd say Warwick Castle. <BR> <BR>