Phone reservations for Doge's Palace

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to have handy the phone number to call direct to make reservations for the secret itinerary tour of the Doge's Palace in Venice. I only have the alata tourism site and would like to call Italy direct to make my reservations for July 31st.
Also is anyone willing to share their impressions of this tour and do you think I'll also need a reservation for the Basilica? Thanks for any and all help - its greatly appreciated as this will be my first trip to Italy - am leaving on July 27th.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM

International access code + 39 041 5209070.

I can't quite understand why people who are seeing the Doge's Palace for the first time want to take the Secret Itineraries tour. There is so much to see in the palace itself that is, to my mind, much more interesting than the dark corridors and rooms seen on the tour. If you are well acquainted with the laws and government of La Serenissima, the Secret Itineraries tour offers an interesting view of how it all really worked "behind the scenes", but I think the "public" face of Venice is just as or more interesting.

I've always seen long lines to enter the Basilica of San Marco. Try to get off the path of the "10-minute tour". The Pala d'Oro behind the altarpiece is a stunning piece of Byzantine art.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Here is the number of Doges Secret Itinerary Tour: 0415209070. It took several tries but you should be able to contact them in English. We enjoyed this tour very much but were there last April when it was cooler. It may be unbearably hot in late July. You will be up in the attic of Doges Palace and attics are not cool in summer. Wear comfortable shoes. I can't advise on the Basilica--we just toured on our own when it wasn't too crowded. Enjoy Venice!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM
ira

t
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM

We did the tour in May and they told us then that in July and August they only do the tours in the morning because it gets very hot up there. Everyone in our group thought the tour was great. You can then go thru the rest of the palace on your own. Get an early English speaking tour and then see the rest of the palace at your leisure, while the others are still waiting in line to get in. Since you will have your reservation, just bypass the lines and go inside to the right for the Secret Itinerary tour, the general line will go to the left after you enter the room on the left where everyone buys their tickets.
dave
we all thought it was worth it and were glad we took the tour
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses and the phone number for reservations. It seems like masochism to attempt to see too many of the major sites in Venice without advance ticketing and I really did have my heart set on this particular tour. Will be sightseeing with my elderly mother and my 30 yr. old daughter who, in spite of living 45 minutes outside of Venice, has never toured the Doge's Palace. The whole day will be so much better without wilting in the sun waiting to buy tix. I am still new to this forum but am most grateful for everyone's willingness to share their knowledge with me. Thanks again. When I've returned from my four week visit to Italy I'll be sure to do the same for others needing any info I've gained.