Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Phone for London & then Paris ? (in 1 week)
Notices

Phone for London & then Paris ? (in 1 week)

Sep 12th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Phone for London & then Paris ? (in 1 week)

I absolutely will not be bringing my useless Virgin Mobile USA phone with me. In fact I want to leave it at home to avoid any accidental roaming charges, etc. That leaves me with a dilemna. First/ Go NO PHONE, 2nd/ buy a phone & sim card package stateside, 3rd/ buy phone stateside & local sim cards for UK & then France, or 4th/ buy phone with sim card installed once we arrive in London. Any suggestions what might work for 2 seniors traveling without a tour group for guidance? The local sim cards are of interest because of the much cheaper local rates BUT I can never find an accurate from UK (or France) per minute rate back to the US. Are we looking at $.50 or higher per minute rates for calls back to US? Most packages bought stateside charge at least that to call home. I assume the stateside bought packages are a ripoff... but convenience is nice. BTW I will have my Nexus 7 tablet and a Kindle with me so wifi should be available to me. But I have never been a SKYPE user and would be a slow learner so that is not my first option. My initial concern is the car service pickup at Heathrow. Without a phone can they contact me (or I contact them) in case of changes, etc. As an afterthought I might like a designated 'travel phone' I could use on my next trip as well.... If I survive the stress of this one! Thanks.
Sep 12th, 2013, 09:08 AM

I think you will find calls on a European SIM back to the US a lot more than 50¢ per minute. Vodafone UK charges £1.50 per minute, which works out about $2.30 at the current rate. See: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/discover-v...id=rdr-1202-01

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions for phones you can buy before the trip, but why don't you learn how to use Skype while you are still at home? Video calls to another Skype contact are free, but you will both have to be at a wi-fi connection. My daughter and I email each other to arrange a time for the call.

Many of the pick-up services wait at terminal arrival areas holding signs with the names of their clients. I see them every time I arrive in the UK.
Sep 12th, 2013, 09:22 AM

skype is pretty easy to use as they have very few buttons.
Sep 12th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Car service companies keep track of flight arrival times,so if you get on the plane, they'll know when you land. As Heimdal said, they will have a sign with your name on it when you enter the arrivals hall.

Some feel they can't travel without a phone, but I take my IPad and usually that's all I need. There are numerous threads on this site regarding phone rentals etc. if you still feel a phone is essential.

Search this Thread