Phone calls in and from Germany

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone calls in and from Germany

Is there a phone card that is est for calls within Germany? Is there one that is est for calls to US from Germany? Or is one card best for both? Which one?

Also, if I have a number

+49-821-510030

In Germany what would I dial?
Some numbers have parentesis- what do I do with those numbers?

Calling the US from Germany if the number is
914-657-9876

what would I dial first?

I know this may sound simple to many but I am not phone savy in Europe.

Millie
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I'll help you with some of the questions...

To dial the number +49-821-510030 while in Germany you would dial
0821 510030

The + sign you see on many numbers stands in for the international calling code when using a gsm mobile phone. From a gsm mobile phone you could dial the full number as listed and it will go through anywhere including inside Germany...outside Germany using a mobile phone you would dial the number as written...if calling from the United States substitute 011 for the plus sign...hence from the USA this number would be 011 49-821-510030...from other countries in Europe when using a phone card you would dial 0049-821-510030 00 being the code for an international call on most European land lines...so to repeat within Germany no country code (49) needed but insert a leading 0...from a mobile phone anywhere dial the number as written...from the United States or Canada lead the number with 011 followed by 49 and the number as written...from within Europe lead the number with 00 followed by 49 and the rest of the number.

To call the United States from Germany (or most anywhere in Europe)

From a landline 001 area code number (00 being the international calling code, 1 being the USA country code)...from a mobile dial + area code+ number with + standing in as the universal international code.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Hi Millie. It can all be a bit confusing, but it does not have to be. My best advice is this: go to www.onesuite.com and sign up with a credit card. From my personal experience they will have the best rates to and from that you can set up ahead of time. If you surf the onesuite site after you sign up you can find rates.

Also before you leave the U.S. you will need to look up the access number you'll need to call from Germany. This is a number that will give you access to the onesuite operator so be sure to find it on their site.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM

In bigger cities there are mostly small shops owned by foreigners (Turkish, Vietnamese etc) selling prepaid phone cards for 5 or 10 Euro. If you are not afraid of dialling approx. 30 digits those cards will allow you cheap calls to the States and even around Germany. Most of these shops can be found around Hauptbahnhof (central station) or not far from it.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:00 AM
ira

ttt
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Millie, Lilylace is correct, sign up with Onesuite.com and you can use your account for calling from Germany to any parts of the world (Germany included) or from U.S to any parts of the world too. My boyfriend had a business trip in Germany not so long ago and we used Onesuite to call each other. Onesuite got 24/7 customer support, just in case you have some questions you know theres always someone to take your call.