phone and sim card

Jun 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

phone and sim card

A friend gave me a WIND brand phone, and recommended that I purchase a sim card when I get to Italy. She was unsure if I could use the phone only in Italy, or could make international calls. My daughters will be in Ireland at that time, and I'd like to keep in touch. Does anyone know if this will work out, or should I make other arrangements?
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:57 PM

It might be costly, but you shouldn't have any problem. I have used an Italian SIM in my phone when in Italy and called locally, the US and the Dutch West Indies with no problem, so I would imagine you can call anywhere. You just might want to inquire about the rates and make sure you have enough time on the phone, although you can buy a top up card at most tabacchi shops.
Jun 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM
jhg

Is there a more reasonable way? I imagine that all the calls we will be making are to the cell in Ireland and home to NYC

Jun 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM

The only other way I can think of is to purchase a local phone card that you use at a pay phone. I don't think the costs will be that much different between that and the cell, however. If it were me, I would stick with the cell for convenience sake.

I think my calls to the US from Italy run about US .50 cents per minute with the Italian SIM card. Calls to the West Indies are much more (about US $1.00 per minute) which is why I'm wondering what the calls to Ireland would run. Who knows...they might be less than to the US. I was only suggesting that you check ahead of time so that you are aware and have enough time on your phone. But, you can always buy top up cards, as well.

Good luck.

Search this Thread